Family Roots 2002

  • Ellen Kinghorn
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 22, 2002
      Hi Everyone:

      I know how much it has meant to me for the support the CHINOOK team received over the recent publication of the magazine, so I wanted to be one of the first to congratulate the Family Roots 2002 team for all the effort and hard work they have put into this year's seminar.

      The media coverage has been fantastic and no amount of money could buy them the promotion and publicity they have earned for the AFHS.

      As the big event gets closer my wish is that you have the best seminar ever, and that it sets the stage for a fabulous annual fest, year after year.

      Sincerely,
      Ellen Kinghorn
      Email: ellen@...
      Webpage: www.kinghorn.ca

    • Eileen McElroy
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 26, 2002
        Kudos to Gordon Hulbert and his committee, the volunteers, speakers and
        exhibitors at today's event. Great job! Thank you for your efforts.

        Regards,
        Eileen McElroy

      • OJ Zawalsky
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 26, 2002
          Yes, It was a great day! Congratulations and THANK YOU to all for a job
          very well done.
          > Kudos to Gordon Hulbert and his committee, the volunteers, speakers and
          > exhibitors at today's event. Great job! Thank you for your efforts.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Eileen McElroy
          >
          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          > http://www.family-roots.ca

        • Ellen Kinghorn
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 26, 2002
            Free Draw Winners at Family Roots 2002

            One Year Free Subscription to CHINOOK
            Courtesy CHINOOK magazine
            $25 Value
            Winner: Mary Zucher, Calgary, AB

            Three Irish Tenors CD
            Courtesy Irish Special Interest Group
            Winner: Sharon Dolce, Calgary, AB

            Three Italian Tenors CD
            Courtesy Italian Special Interest Group
            Winner: Linda Simpson, Fox Creek, AB

          • Allan Cole
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 27, 2002
              Hi

              I would like to add my congratulations to the FamilyRoots 2002 committee
              for a job well done.

              As for pictures, would someone be willing to set up a site to store
              pictures on. As you know there are no attachments allowed on dist-gen. My
              ISP disk space is limited now as I already support several sites on my own
              ID. Remember that everyone who has an Internet connection has disk space at
              their disposal. How much space, is another question and depends to the
              individual ISP.

              Allan

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 27, 2002
                Thank you to all those who made my work as speaker and exhibitor (commercial
                and SIG) easier.

                Here are some particular people and unknown people whom I would like to
                personally thank - no particular order and apologies to any whom I forgot to
                thank by name:

                1. Ross Haslam for the organization of booths and both he and Gordon Lane
                for helping with such things as hanging signs, putting up and taking down
                items from the walls as needed and many other small acts and large tasks to
                make the exhibits run smoothly. Also for the way they organized the SIGS and
                my commercial booth so that it was easy for me to go back and forth as
                needed. Also to them and the other members of this committee who waited
                Friday night for us to arrive and finish initial setup of our tables. The
                people on this team worked many long and busy hours to ensure a smooth
                operation.

                2. To the committee who ensured my two talks were on the same floor as the
                exhibits to make my time more efficient. Also to the committee for having
                projectors and other equipment in both rooms used for my talks. Special
                thanks to Bill Mumford for the speedy assistance with the A/V and for
                accomodating my wish to not be podium penned!

                3. Thanks to Bev Swan for introducing me and the "linguine incident" which
                started us off in good humour and to Alanna Brown for introducing me and her
                able assistance in the sessions.

                4. Thanks to Gordon Hulbert for his work as chair, the Hulbert team for the
                name tags and no I didn't "lose it" :-)

                5. Thanks to the greeters on Saturday morning. That was a nice touch.

                6. To Bill Campbell and all those who helped create publicity for the event
                which drew in such an amazing audience for both my talks and the customers
                for our products. We were very pleased with the results and certainly my
                new-found fame has made me a very busy person!

                7. To Judii Rempel for inviting me to speak on the two topics and for
                putting the talks on the website. Also I am sure she did tons more than I
                even know about.

                8. Thanks to Eva Kinnear and committee for organizing the SIG booths and for
                the wonderful signs. I would be interested in knowing if the vendors could
                order signs like this and what the cost would be.

                10. To all our loyal and new customers who made it a profitable day.

                11. To the attendees of my two talks for their attention and for their
                input.

                12. To Alan Peers for his work on registration and for keeping me informed.
                Also to all the others that worked diligently behind the scenes to make this
                a fantastic conference. I would also like to thank the many volunteers over
                the past years who made both the Wild Rose Seminars and the Gensoft such
                successful events that acted as a forerunner to this combined one. I hope
                this is just the beginning of a wonderful new annual event. As someone who
                has been on the inside of organizing conference and seminar events I know
                how many hours and how much dedication it requires to put on something of
                this scale and success. My hats off to all who made it both successful and
                fun! I must say I did have fun and zero frustration as a speaker, vendor and
                SIG exhibitor. It was all due to the fantastic work of all involved.

                Hope you had fun too and that you are now having a well-deserved rest!

                a bientot,

                Enter Xenia as a search term at http://globalgazette.net/ to find my column
                "Nos Racines Francaises"
                Local book and magazine sales:
                http://www.knowmap.com/age/
                Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

                http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              • Gord Hulbert
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 27, 2002
                  I'd be happy to set up a site for FamilyRoots pictures.

                  > I would like to add my congratulations to the FamilyRoots 2002 committee
                  > for a job well done.
                  >
                  > As for pictures, would someone be willing to set up a site to store
                  > pictures on. As you know there are no attachments allowed on dist-gen. My
                  > ISP disk space is limited now as I already support several sites on my own
                  > ID. Remember that everyone who has an Internet connection has disk space
                  at
                  > their disposal. How much space, is another question and depends to the
                  > individual ISP.
                  >
                  > Allan

                  > D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
                  > http://www.doteasy.com

                  http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                • Carol Lylyk
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 27, 2002
                    There was a good write up in the Herald this morning by David Bly covering Friday night and yesterday.

                    I would like to say that I enjoyed the day very much and add Thanks to all who worked so hard to make it a success.

                    Carol Lylyk
                    Calgary

                    ---
                  • Ellen Kinghorn
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 27, 2002
                      Okay...I realize everyone concerned with the Family Roots 2002 production is sitting with their feet up today, taking a well-deserved rest, but I do want to extend my congratulations to the committee for the overall successful results their hardworking group achieved.

                      This year, the Family Roots 2002 event was the combination of the Wild Rose Seminar and Gensoft.  In every new venture there can be kinks of some sort, but this committee sidestepped those and danced their way to a pretty successful affair.

                      A rush of memories of Family Roots 2002, include seeing people lined up seven deep, ready to donate their DNA to the BYU molecular study;  Bev Swan jauntily sporting her great hat with all the pins displayed.... along with her wide welcoming smile; Florence Denning and her gang from Turner Valley sitting down to breakfast at about 7:30 a.m. in anticipation of the full genealogy day ahead; Peggy Franko escorting our valuable Metis resource person, Geoff Burtonshaw to a talk; a "crush" of people around the Irish SIG table; Louise Sauve and Jeanne Bentley greeting and sorting out registrants; evidence of the terrific media coverage, plasticized and displayed for posterity on tables everywhere; listening to speakers add splashes of much appreciated humour to their topics of expertise; a gal from Lethbridge flashing me a "fabulous" thumbs up; and finally, Gord Hulbert reassuring a tearful "want-to-be" DNA participant at the end of the day.

                      Congratulations everyone...your hard work (and I can't imagine the number of hours that went into the organization of Family Roots 2002) makes me proud to belong to the AFHS.

                      Sincerely,
                      Ellen Kinghorn
                      AFHS Board of Directors
                      Member at Large

                    • Phyllis Ziajka
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 27, 2002
                        I want to say "Hear Hear" to that!!!
                        Unfortunately I wasn't able to fully participate (very regrettably), but I was there from about 8 until 11:30 (at the Irish SIG table) plus a little bit walk-about.  All was very well laid out and busy (even during session times).  Everyone involved certainly put their ALL into this, and it paid off (I'm sure)!!
                        Can we repeat this next year??
                        Phyllis Z.

                        Ellen Kinghorn wrote:
[...]

                      • Al King
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 27, 2002
                          At the last talk I attended, which ended at 4:30, I learned that I could obtain a copy of the talks
                          for $5. When I went to do so the display area was finis.

                          Will there be an opportunity to pick them up at an AFHS monthly meeting?

                          Al

                          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                        • Judith Rempel
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 27, 2002
                            Al King wrote:

                            > At the last talk I attended, which ended at 4:30, I learned that I could obtain a copy of the talks
                            > for $5. When I went to do so the display area was finis.

                            We were hanging around the Registration Room until about 5:15 - but
                            guess you didn't think to go there. That's where they were being sold.

                            > Will there be an opportunity to pick them up at an AFHS monthly meeting?

                            Absolutely.

                            I'm at most of the general meetings (1st Mondays), and Computer SIG
                            meetings. I expect that Alan Peers and I will hold down part of a table
                            somewhere at the back of the room at the Nov meeting.

                            --
                            In Kinship,
                            Judith Rempel, Webster

                            and

                            afhs@...

                            Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

                            FamilyRoots 2002
                          • Ines
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 28, 2002
                              Hi all,
                              unfortunately I could not make it on Saturday at all but I was most
                              impressed with the number of people on Friday evening. Never thought that
                              many people would come. It was very interesting and soooo well organized.
                              Ines

                              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                            • Alanna and Larry Brown
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 29, 2002
                                It was great to see you again. Alanna Brown
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 30, 2002
                                  Hello:

                                  I was at the friday night DNA group and asked several people if they has seen
                                  you but no one could tell me where you were. I sat with Bev Swan, Judi and
                                  Marlene at the back so that I could see the sign up table and also asked
                                  several times out there for you, one of the peole I asked was Jeanie, the other
                                  people I did not know., Sorry I missed you
                                  Bev

                                  http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                                • Allan Cole
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 30, 2002
                                    Hi Bev
                                    Since this message went to the whole of the dist-gen list, I've just got to
                                    ask who you were looking for. :-} I'm sure many are wondering the same thing.
                                    Allan

                                    At 09:13 AM 10/30/02 -0800, rayburnb@... wrote:
                                    >Hello:
                                    >
                                    >I was at the friday night DNA group and asked several people if they has seen
                                    >you but no one could tell me where you were. I sat with Bev Swan, Judi and
                                    >Marlene at the back so that I could see the sign up table and also asked
                                    >several times out there for you, one of the peole I asked was Jeanie, the
                                    >other
                                    >people I did not know., Sorry I missed you
                                    >Bev
                                    >

                                    >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

                                    http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                                  • Mabel Kiessling
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 30, 2002
                                      Hi Bev:

                                      Sorry, I wasn't there. I decided to go for supper with my kids - they were
                                      all feeling a little down that day. It is also the only time when we can
                                      all be together. Besides, they had a lasagne special on at East Side Marios
                                      and we kind of like it there.

                                      Mabel

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                                        Great pictures Blair. I've added a link to them on FamilyRoots homepage.