Re: pro genealogy training in Canada?

  • Tara Shymanski
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
      I took the National Institute of Genealogical Studies courses through the University of Toronto, too.  Some of them were excellent.  I finished all 40 courses to get my certificate in Canadian Studies.  With the electives I was also able to take courses in Irish research or whatever country I wanted. Taking the courses taught me about all kinds of records - some that everyone knows about - and many more obscure ones.  I found the Methodology, & Analysis & Skill Building ones really helped me with research skills and organization.

      The courses are on-line and you can do them at your leisure, however, each course has a date it must be finished by.  You write an "open book" exam at the end of each course.
      Some of the courses are a bit simplistic but all in all I learned tons.

      If you want to drop by I have all the printed courses in binders at my house. You can take a look at them.

      2010/1/7 Joan Miller <luxegen@...>
      Hi fellow genealogists,
      A question for you.  Where is the best place to take courses in professional genealogy in Canada? I know there are online courses at one of the universities in the east...U of Toronto?  I really want to work my brickwall KERR family line in Quebec back to Ireland (I know this is going to be a huge challenge. Thanks for the excellent talk the other night on Irish research!).  I may be able to do this research within the confines of a course and learn more while doing.  (and now that I am 'retired', I'm supposed to have more time!  Ha!)

      There are so many accreditations out there for Pro Genealogists.  I look forward to hearing your recommendations re training and which accreditation one should strive towards here in Canada.

      Thanks!
      Joan Miller
      Luxegen Genealogy and Family History

      --