RE: pro genealogy training in Canada?

  • Laura A Kirbyson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010

      Hi,

      I’ve been taking courses towards my Certificate in Genealogical Studies through the UofT/National Institute for Genealogical Studies.  The url is, http://www.genealogicalstudies.com/

      They do have different streams/foci so you will likely find courses that pertain to just what you’re looking for.  I do enjoy the program and they seem to have been very responsive.  They also have web chats for the different courses where you can pick the brains of the instructors.  I’ve found some of the courses to be pretty light and other to be very, very in-depth.  …fewer of the light, I must say.

      Good luck!

      Laura A. Kirbyson

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
        I took the National Institute of Genealogical Studies courses through the University of Toronto, too.  Some of them were excellent.  I finished all 40 courses to get my certificate in Canadian Studies.  With the electives I was also able to take courses in Irish research or whatever country I wanted. Taking the courses taught me about all kinds of records - some that everyone knows about - and many more obscure ones.  I found the Methodology, & Analysis & Skill Building ones really helped me with research skills and organization.

        The courses are on-line and you can do them at your leisure, however, each course has a date it must be finished by.  You write an "open book" exam at the end of each course.
        Some of the courses are a bit simplistic but all in all I learned tons.

        If you want to drop by I have all the printed courses in binders at my house. You can take a look at them.

        --
        Tara Shymanski, BA, PLCGS
        Researching Your Family's History