request for help: Glenbow town and quarry

  • Shari Peyerl
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2009
      Hi,

      I'm new to the list because another list member suggested this would be a good place to ask for help.

      I am working on a project for the Archaeological Society of Alberta, Calgary Centre. We are doing research on the town and quarry of Glenbow. It falls within Alberta's newest provincial park and is located just east of Cochrane, Alberta. We have mapped the remains of the village, which was built for quarry workers about 1909. The quarry did not last long and closed before the First World War. The village lasted a little longer and we think the last residents left in the late 1920s.

      We have already checked the Calgary Public Library, University of Calgary, and the Glenbow Library and Archives for any available resources. We have census data, some newspaper articles, some private diary entries, some interviews with Cochrane old-timers made in the 1970s, some general maps and air photos, and one photograph from the end of the 1920s.

      We are looking for any additional information regarding the village, particularly photographs or maps, which would help us identify the buildings we have mapped and would identify the quarry bunkhouse.

      Any help would be appreciated.