Recommendation for genealogy software for Mac OS X

  • Roger Leach
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2009
      Hi to all Mac users
      My 93 year old father in law is anxious to record his family tree and has a Mac. As a diehard PC person I do not know what to reccommend. Something simple will suffice as I doubt he will be publishing.
      Suggestions welcome
      Merry Xmas
      Roger

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2009
        Roger Leach wrote:
        > Hi to all Mac users
        > My 93 year old father in law is anxious to record his family tree and
        > has a Mac. As a diehard PC person I do not know what to recommend.
        > Something simple will suffice as I doubt he will be publishing.
        > Suggestions welcome
        > Merry Xmas
        > Roger

        Roger the following might be helpful. The document is a couple
        of years old, so some info might be outdated.

        MacGenealogy.org - http://www.macgenealogy.org/
        MacGenealogy.Org's goal: - to keep Mac users informed of the
        latest news and information concerning genealogy on the
        Macintosh platform. We hope to increase awareness of genealogy
        software for the Macintosh platform, as well as assist Mac
        users with their genealogy questions. We hope to encourage
        development of current and additional genealogy software that
        runs on the Macintosh platform.

        Macintosh Genealogy Software -
        http://genealogy.about.com/od/software_mac/
        Find family tree software programs written for the Macintosh
        operating system, with descriptions, reviews, free trial
        versions, comparisons, and tips from Mac users.

        OSX Applications

        MacFamilyTree Version 4.0.10 (Jan 2005) Requires OS X 10.2.6
        Cost $45
        This Mac-only family tree shareware program offers versions in
        a variety of different languages, including English, French
        (MacGénéalogie), German (MacStammbaum), Italian (Mac
        Genealogia) and Spanish (GenealogíaMac), are also available.

        OhmiGene Version 0.50b2 (Dec 2004) Requires MacOS X Cost
        Free (for now)
        With OHMIGENE it is possible :
        - to create and to manage genealogies, to import GEDCOM files,
        to export files in the format GEDCOM, to publish genealogy in
        a website.

        SeeGEDCOMX Version 0.8b2 (Sep 2004) Requires OS X 10.1.5 Cost
        Free
        SeeGEDCOMX is a minimalist genealogy program for the
        Macintosh, started before MacOS X made minimalism fashionable.
        Originally a browser application for GEDCOM files, it has
        become a much more general application. You can now use it to
        create a family history from scratch, to maintain an existing
        family history stored as a GEDCOM document, or simply to
        browse your GEDCOM documents and downloads.

        GEDitCOM Version 3.70 beta 3 (Aug 2004) Requires OS X 10+
        Cost $49.99
        GEDitCOM is the customizable genealogy application for the
        Macintosh for editing and viewing GEDCOM genealogy files.
        Using the GEDitCOM customization features, you can design your
        own genealogy user interface. Or, if you prefer, you can use
        the Default Format that comes with GEDitCOM and provides a
        powerful, user-friendly interface with 100% access to all
        features of the GEDCOM standard.

        HEREDIS Mac X Version 10.1.5 (Jun 2004) Requires OS X 10+
        Cost $69
        This French genealogy software program comes in two versions
        for Macintosh - Heredis Classic and Heredis Pro. The Mac
        version also comes in German, but Heredis' foray into the
        English-speaking genealogy market seems to be concentrating on
        Windows.

        Reunion Version 8.05 Requires OS X 10.1.3+ Cost $99
        Reunion records names, dates, places, facts, plenty of notes,
        sources of information, pictures, sounds, and videos. Families
        are linked in an easy-to-understand fashion.
        Reunion makes it easy to publish your family tree information
        -- even if you want to share it on the Web. You can
        automatically create common genealogy reports, charts, and
        forms, as well as birthday calendars, mailing lists,
        questionnaires, indexes, and other lists. Reunion even
        calculates relationships, ages, life expectancies, and
        statistics.
        Reunion also creates large, high-resolution, graphic charts
        allowing complete on-screen editing of boxes, lines, fonts,
        and colors. Wall charts are one of its specialties.

        GenerationX Version 2.4.1 (Nov 2003) Requires OS X 10.2+ Cost
        Free/GPL
        GenerationX is a genealogy tool designed specifically for
        weekend hobbyists. GenX is the first application of its kind
        developed entirely in Cocoa and optimized for Mac OS X.
        GenerationX has been praised by the hobbyist community and
        bundled with publications by Family History Monthly Magazine.

        Genealogy Pro Version 1.02 (May 2003) Requires OS X 10+ Cost Free
        Genealogy Pro is a freeware software program for storing
        family relationships and drawing family trees.
        It features:
        • A database to store familial relationships
        • Easy creation of sophisticated family tree charts,
        including horizontal, vertical, ancestor, descendant charts,
        and various formatting options
        • An expandable database that allows creation of custom fields

        GenScribe Version 1.1 Requires OS 8.5+*, OS X 10+ Cost $12
        GenScribe is a family history research tracking and
        record-keeping program, designed to help you plan and manage
        your genealogy research.
        Here are some of the things you can do using GenScribe:
        • Create research "to do" lists for any given venue.
        • Record the actual research data that you find (GenScribe
        includes standard text entry fields as well as templates for
        the 1790-1880 and 1900-1920 U.S. censuses).
        • Keep track of your genealogy correspondence, including
        dates of correspondence and money that you've paid for
        research or to cover costs.

        TreeTracker Version 1.1 (Jul 2003) Requires OS X 10.1+ Cost $21.95
        The purpose of TreeTracker is to make it easy for family
        historians and genealogists to track and organize family
        photos and their lineage. The interface is designed to be "the
        simplest tool that could possibly work."
        OS 8/9 Classic Apps

        SeeGEDCOMX Version 0.8b2 (Sep 2004) Requires OS 8.6*, OS X
        10.1.5 Cost Free
        See description above

        GEDitCOM Version 3.70 beta 3 (Aug 2004) Requires OS 8.1+*, OS
        X 10+ Cost $49.99
        See description above

        HEREDIS Mac X Version 10.1.5 (Jun 2004) Requires OS 9.1* Cost $69
        See description above

        MacFamilyTree Version 3.6.7 (May 2004) Requires OS 9.1* Cost $30
        See description above

        Reunion Version 8.05 Requires OS 8.5+*, OS X 10.1.3+ Cost $99
        See description above

        GENE Version 4.3.4 Requires OS 8.5+*, Cost $15
        Gene is a shareware genealogy database for the Macintosh
        written by David and Diana Eppstein. You can use Gene to store
        family data and notes, draw and print family trees and
        pedigree charts, create web pages from your database, and
        exchange GEDCOM data with users of other genealogy programs.
        Gene is capable of handling complicated databases with
        thousands of names, multiple marriages and divorces,
        adoptions, illegitimate children, and intermarriage between
        relatives.

        --
        Groetjes
        Peter

        My computer problems are caused by a loose nut
        between the chair and the keyboard.
      • Joan Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2009
          I'm curious if any of you have experience with genealogy apps for an iphone?  I would like to carry my gedcom around with me.

          Thanks,

          Joan Miller
        • Mary Arthur

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 22, 2009
              Hi Mary,
              I'm using Family Tree Maker on a PC so it would need to be a gedcom I move across.
              Someone sent me this page of Genealogy Apps

              thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

              Joan Miller