Re: England Civil Registration

  • Ellen Kinghorn
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
      Alison:  I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and there is no charge...American or International.

      Ellen Kinghorn
      Email: ellen@...
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
        I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
        get this benefit.

        --
        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel, Webster

        and

        afhs@...

        Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

        FamilyRoots 2002
      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
          Dear Ellen

          The free money orders at the Royal Bank depend on what type of service
          plan you have.

          Lois Sparling
        • Frank Morrow
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002

            Hi Lucky', I too get mine for free at CIBC - hey, it rhymes. This is one of the few benefits of being a 'senior'.
          • Richard Trostem
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002
              That's in the process of changing at thr Royal, regardless of what
              service you have. I believe that effective July 1, if you purchase more
              than twelve money orders in a calendar year, the charge will be
              $10.00/order (after the free 12). It's something like that, but your
              Royal Bank can tell you the specifics, if you ask.

              Richard

              Judith Rempel wrote:

              > I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
              > get this benefit.
              >
              > Alison: I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and
              > there is no charge...American or International.
              >
              > --
              > In Kinship,
              > Judith Rempel, Webster
              > rempel@...
              > JR Solutions
              > http://www.jrsolutions.net
              >
              > and
              >
              > afhs@...
              > Alberta Family Histories Society
              > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              >
              > Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
              > http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/
              >
              > FamilyRoots 2002
              > http://www.family-roots.ca
              > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              > http://www.family-roots.ca
            • Rene
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002
                Gordon:

                > From Ancestry.com I have a number of people where I have the Record
                > Type, District, Year, Quarter, Volume and Page#
                >
                > Can I get certificates through the LDS or do I hve to get them through
                > the PRO. Or would a researcher be better to get me these certificates.

                Sorry that I did not join in this discussion sooner but I have had problems
                with my e-mail service.

                You cannot get English civil registration certificates from the LDS.

                My advice on obtaining civil registration certificates is undernoted.
                First, however, I have a couple of comments to make:

                1. It is true that if a marriage appears in the IGI or the British Vital
                Records Index you can get a copy of the entry in the church register from
                SLC providing you correctly identify the source.

                Some disadvantages to this approach are:

                (a) Many post-1837 church registers have not been filmed by the LDS.

                (b) The time lapse for obtaining a photocopy from SLC is two months.
                This was my personal experience when applying for a copy of a Scottish
                marriage certificate earlier this year.

                (c) The new charge (effective January 1, 2003) of $4 US minimum/order
                has to be taken into account.

                2. From several contributors to this discussion it is apparent that they
                are concerned about the cost of a sterling money order from the bank. If
                this is a concern and you prefer to use a credit card then you have two
                choices:

                (a) You can purchase a certificate from the Office of National
                Statistics (General Register Office), Southport (using a credit card) in
                one of two ways:

                Order by telephone on +44 (0)870 243 77 88
                Fax +44(0)1704 550013

                See their website:

                http://www.statistics.gov.uk/nsbase/registration/certe_w/fees.asp

                for full details. The cost is 8 pounds sterling with full GRO Reference
                number. Note that if you give an incorrect GRO reference number you will
                not receive a certificate and an administration fee of four pounds, fifty
                pence will be charged. Note also that no refund under five pounds will be
                issued to an overseas applicant. In effect, therefore, you will have paid 8
                pounds for nothing.

                (b) You can use a Record Agent to obtain the certificate for you. Many
                professional researchers advertise their services in the Family Tree
                Magazine (copies at the FHC and in the AFHS library). For faster service
                choose one who has an e-mail address. Some dist-gen members (Peter van
                Schaik among them) can recommend reliable agents.

                * * *

                Now for my suggested course of action.

                Write to the Register Office where the event was registered. DO NOT quote
                the volume and page number (GRO reference number). Be sure to quote the
                quarter and year in which you found the entry on the indexes.
                Theoretically, they will search for an event for five years but it is much
                better to check the indexes first before placing your order.

                Check the current address for the Register Office in question at:

                http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/blangston/genuki/reg/

                Enclose a sterling cheque or money order for seven pounds. This includes
                return airmail postage.

                There should be no difficulty in obtaining a copy of a birth or death
                certificate from the local Register Office. It has been my experience that
                local offices give return mail service so you can expect to receive the
                certificate in about 3 weeks.

                If the event is a marriage the local Register Office needs to have some
                idea of the church where the marriage took place. If you do not know the
                particular church but know the area where the bride lived before marriage
                that would be helpful. This is because in a large city there could be 30 or
                more marriage registers and it is too time-consuming for the staff at the
                Register Office to look through them all to find your marriage. What they
                will do is to look in the register for the mother church of the area, plus
                the Register Office's own register. Their register will contain all
                non-conformist marriages where a Registrar was required to be present up to
                at least 1898, plus all marriages that took place in the Register Office
                itself.

                If for any reason the local Register Office cannot provide a copy of the
                event requested they will return your money in full and refer you to the
                General Register Office at Southport (this office deals with all postal
                enquiries).

                If it is necessary to write to Southport you need to quote the full GRO
                reference.

                The cost is eight pounds sterling if you supply the full GRO reference
                number. Without the reference number the cost is 11 pounds. The mailing
                address is:

                General Register Office
                PO Box 2
                Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD
                UK

                Service from Southport is generally slower than from a local Register
                Office.

                I hope this helps.

                Rene