Re: special events

  • Bill Mumford
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2009
      Gene Tree offered the same or similar deal several years ago.  Both Rene and I applied for our mtDNA results as obtained from Sorenson.  As I recall it took nearly a year to get the results.  They provide only the results for HVR 1 & 2.  If you can get them from Sorenson and mtDNA is of interest to you then the $19.50 price is a bargain.  If you are interested if further testing, e.g. the Y chromosome, then FTDNA is the best bet for genealogical purposes.   Joining a surname group will get a reduced rate on tests.  They also provide the best support in the DNA testing industry.

      Cheers

      Suddie Bill

      Mertie Beatty wrote:
        Heather:

        An update about DNA would be a good idea.  I recently received an e-mail from Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation with an offer to
        receive information re mtDNA results for $19.50 until Oct. 31st.  I have telephoned their number and keep getting a message saying that number is not available in our area.  I don't know what that means because it is an 866 number and we should be able to get through.

        My husband and I have given saliva and swab samples and have not heard anything until now.  It would be nice to be able to have an update
        from Sorenson Molecular or from someone who has dealt with them.

        Has anyone had success with obtaining results?  Especially without paying out big bucks?  Thanks.

        Mertie

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2009

        HI Suddie Bill,

        I don’t know if you are saying Sorenson does mtDNA whereas FTDNA offers Y-DNA. Just to clarify Family Tree DNA offers both maternal (mtDNA) and paternal (Y-DNA) testing, as well as ethnicity testing.

        Xenia

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2009
          No, FTDNA does a complete mtDNA as well as just the HV zones.  It also covers a plethora of Y DNA test plus additional panels and all sorts of exotic stuff.  Simply a case if you have the money and a penchant for math you can do all manner of wonderful things.   My interests are somewhat limited but I have discovered enough about my family origins to point me in the most likely ares in which I might find my earliest ancestors.  I'm not overly concerned about the family origins prior to the last ice age although I have that information as well.  :-) .

          Cheers

          Suddie Bill

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2009
            Hi all,
            I had my brother submit DNA to FTDNA  (for the family name KERR)

            They had a fast turn around and we found matches, ironically with another fellow with the exact same name as my brother, including middle name.  It gave us new avenues to search in both England and US, as we are stuck trying to get our KERR family research out of Quebec and back to a specific place in Ireland.  I feel it will be through DNA that we will ultimately find the connection as more people submit samples.

            Cheers,
            Joan Miller