RE: special events

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2009

      Hi Mertie and all,

      While in Raleigh at the NGS Conference, I met people from the company that did and continue to do the DNA for the Acadian Founding Mothers project. If you recall, I did an article on this topic in Chinook, January 2009. They do DNA for individuals, but have been involved in ethnic origins including the proving or disproving of native ancestry of these 80+ maternal lines for the Acadian Founding Mothers and an African-American project. The company is Family Tree DNA and they won the BBB 2009 Award for Excellence in Customer Service. They told me they have sponsorship programs where the organization receives a portion for each member submitting his/her DNA kit. It might be nice to get another point of view than Sorenson’s, but I don’t know if AFHS already has a deal in place with Sorensons.

      Here is the url for Family Tree DNA www.familytreedna.com

      Xenia Stanford

      Editor, Chinook, 2008 Winner of the National Genealogical Society Local Newsletter Award

      Email; editor-chinook@...

      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, Métis

      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564

      Alberta Family Histories Society

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2009

          HI Suddie Bill,

          I don’t know if you are saying Sorenson does mtDNA whereas FTDNA offers Y-DNA. Just to clarify Family Tree DNA offers both maternal (mtDNA) and paternal (Y-DNA) testing, as well as ethnicity testing.

          Xenia

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2009
            No, FTDNA does a complete mtDNA as well as just the HV zones.  It also covers a plethora of Y DNA test plus additional panels and all sorts of exotic stuff.  Simply a case if you have the money and a penchant for math you can do all manner of wonderful things.   My interests are somewhat limited but I have discovered enough about my family origins to point me in the most likely ares in which I might find my earliest ancestors.  I'm not overly concerned about the family origins prior to the last ice age although I have that information as well.  :-) .

            Cheers

            Suddie Bill

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 27, 2009
              Hi all,
              I had my brother submit DNA to FTDNA  (for the family name KERR)

              They had a fast turn around and we found matches, ironically with another fellow with the exact same name as my brother, including middle name.  It gave us new avenues to search in both England and US, as we are stuck trying to get our KERR family research out of Quebec and back to a specific place in Ireland.  I feel it will be through DNA that we will ultimately find the connection as more people submit samples.

              Cheers,
              Joan Miller