Re: The Calgary Herald article

  • Joan Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21 7:13 PM
      Congratulations Xenia and to all that help put the "Chinook" together!

      I blogged about your win and also posted on twitter, facebook and Genealogy Wise to give AFHS some more publicity.

      The article is here:  http://www.luxegen.ca/?p=1451

      Happy Hunting all!
      Joan Miller
      Luxegen Genealogy and Family History
      2009/7/18 Xenia Stanford <xenias@...>

      Hi all,

      Thank you for all the congratulations. Of course, I couldn’t have done it without the team.

      Some wonder about the information in the Calgary Herald article. So to clarify, here is what is on the photo:

      Centre: I’m holding the certificate, which unfortunately does not show up at all. I hope the certificate will be framed and put on the AFHS Library wall where all can see.

      Left to right: My 50+ year old doll (that is featured in my newly released book about my first year of school, called “Pigtail Times at Taimi: True Tales from My One-Room School” – plug for me), Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Doll and my grandparents’ wedding picture (1906). They told me to bring props, so those are some of the items I brought.

      Regarding the article itself:

      It is my children who are blood relatives of the people mentioned in the article, not me. Anyway it was the “hook” to make the article more interesting. The comment about easy to find somebody famous was in relation to these people (not for everyone – for example. I am not a blood relative of anyone famous, at least not in the generations I have been able to trace. I think the most famous might be me!) Anyway the remark was made to tie into the comment about every person who has ancestors who arrived in Canada prior to 1763 (Treaty of Paris when Canada was turned over to Britain) is usually related to everyone else whose ancestors arrived during the same period. That means Celine Dion, Alanis Morissette, Hilary Clinton, Angelina Jolie, Madonna and Camilla, as in Camilla Parker-Bowles, are all related because of French-Canadian ancestry. It is only a matter of degrees.

      It was pretty hard to explain during the interview.  It is good to have publicity and Karin did put in plugs for the Society. So let’s hope many people read the article and join AFHS to find their famous or not so famous ancestors.

      Xenia Stanford