Herald

  • Gord Hulbert
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 18, 2002
      Hi all:

      CONGRATULATIONS to Xenia & David Bly. If you don't have a copy of this
      mornings Herald, then rush out and buy one.

      Regards,

      Gord Hulbert
      http://www.Hulbert.ca
      http://www.Family-Roots.ca
      http://www.Wersi-Users-Group.org

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 18, 2002
        Thanks Gord,

        The phone has been ringing!

        I just wanted everyone to know the pictures were taken with a digital
        camera. The professional photographer said that is all the photographers he
        knows now use and pointed out the difference in the picture of my daughter
        that ran on December 24, 1980 and said to compare to mine. The older one
        taken with the best 35 mm camera of the day is much more grainy.

        I have had people tell me that digital cameras are not as good as regular 35
        mm but now I have two photos two decades apart to show them.

        Xenia

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 18, 2002
          > The phone has been ringing!

          Great job Xenia. You covered all the bases. I guess we have to give a
          little credit to David Bly as well for getting it all down. <G>

          Bill

        • Gord Hulbert
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
            Hi there:

            For those of you that receive the Calgary Herald, be sure to look for Davis
            Bly's article in this monrning's newspaper.

            Regards,

            Gord Hulbert
            http://www.Hulbert.ca
            http://www.Family-Roots.ca
            http://www.Wersi-Users-Group.org

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Charles Aubin
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
              Hi Gordon:
              Do you know offhand what section or what page Bly's article was on.
              There must be different issues of the Herald put out as I read the paper
              cover to cover, just retrieved it from the recycle bag and still cannot
              find an article by Bly (kind of rhythms doesn't it?) May I also offer
              my congratulations to you and the AFHS members who worked so hard and
              diligently to put on a great show. The talks seemed to be well attended
              but there seemed to be less traffic around the demos and commercial
              tables. Nice to see some old friends in attendance. My thanks also to
              Doug Stobbs and the members of the Legacy SIG for their great efforts.
              Also once again nice to see support from Legacy by way of Geoff
              Rasmussen, and thanks for his donation to the Legacy SIG.
              best reguards Charlie

              Gord Hulbert wrote:

              > Hi there:
              >
              > For those of you that receive the Calgary Herald, be sure to look for Davis
              > Bly's article in this monrning's newspaper.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Gord Hulbert
              > http://www.Hulbert.ca
              > http://www.Family-Roots.ca
              > http://www.Wersi-Users-Group.org

            • Frank Reaume
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
                Hi Charles,

                Here is a copy of that article from the Herald. I found it on the Herald's
                website at this URL:
                http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/story.asp?id={0ECCE1EA-D093-4568
                -84D8-243D29E07B5F}

                Frank Reaume

                Genealogy forum draws hundreds

                David Bly
                Calgary Herald
                Sunday, October 27, 2002

                It's been a great week for genealogists, says Gordon Hulbert, one of the
                organizers of Roots 2002, the annual conference of the Alberta Family
                Histories Society.

                The conference, held Saturday at the Hospitality Inn on Macleod Trail,
                followed on the heels of the opening of an online census database Wednesday,
                and the enthusiastic response Friday to a project that links DNA and
                genealogical research.

                "Genealogy has been given a huge boost," Hulbert said.

                The family history conference attracted more than 400 people who came to
                learn more about various areas of genealogical research and the latest
                technology.

                Many of those who attended Saturday's seminars crowded into a southwest
                Calgary church Friday night to hear about the Molecular Genealogy Research
                Project. About 350 people donated pedigree charts and DNA samples to the
                project.

                Tod Schulthess, general manager of the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy
                Foundation, said his foundation aims to gather hundreds of thousands of DNA
                samples from around the world and will use the research to construct a
                molecular "family tree" that shows how people from different parts of the
                world are related.

                The research is funded mainly by James Sorenson, an American known for his
                invention of various medical devices, including a new type of surgical mask
                and more effective IV needles.

                In a video shown at Friday's presentation, Sorenson said he's invented many
                things, but DNA research is the biggest thing he's been involved in.

                Schulthess said the DNA collected for the research cannot be misused. The
                genetic markers use in the research are "junk DNA," he said, not useful in
                identifying physical characteristics.

                "It won't tell us what colour your eyes are or if you're prone to baldness,"
                he said.

                He said he was overwhelmed by the Calgary response to the project, which he
                said was far greater than in any other city the foundation has visited.

                The event was organized with the help of the Family Histories Society, as
                well as the Family History Centre of the Church of Jesus Christ of
                Latter-day Saints.

                At Saturday's conference, Hulbert said the DNA project attracts attention to
                genealogy.

                "It's like the Internet fuss of a few years ago," he said. And like the
                Internet, the project has the potential to push genealogical research ahead
                "by great leaps."

                "I think maybe in five or 10 years, you're going to see some big things come
                out of this."

                On Wednesday, the LDS church launched a database of the 1880 U.S. census,
                the 1881 Canadian census and the 1881 British census. This allows, among
                other things, a person to search all three censuses at the same time.

                Dave Obee of Victoria, one of the speakers at the conference, said genealogy
                is detective work.

                "This is more fun than reading a detective novel," he said, "because it's
                real, and when you're done, you have something in your hands.

                "Genealogists are aware of what's going on in the world because they know
                things like geography, politics and persecution."

                There's something approaching a subculture among family history enthusiasts.
                Among the books, maps and research aids offered for sale were more whimsical
                items, such as bumper stickers that read "Genealogy: Living in the Past
                Lane," ties with old photographs on them, and T-shirts adorned with pedigree
                charts.

                blyd@...

                © Copyright 2002 Calgary Herald

                > Do you know offhand what section or what page Bly's article was on.
                > There must be different issues of the Herald put out as I read the paper
                > cover to cover, just retrieved it from the recycle bag and still cannot
                > find an article by Bly (kind of rhythms doesn't it?) May I also offer
                > my congratulations to you and the AFHS members who worked so hard and
                > diligently to put on a great show. The talks seemed to be well attended
                > but there seemed to be less traffic around the demos and commercial
                > tables. Nice to see some old friends in attendance. My thanks also to
                > Doug Stobbs and the members of the Legacy SIG for their great efforts.
                > Also once again nice to see support from Legacy by way of Geoff
                > Rasmussen, and thanks for his donation to the Legacy SIG.
                > best reguards Charlie
                >
                > Gord Hulbert wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi there:
                > >
                > > For those of you that receive the Calgary Herald, be sure to look for
                Davis
                > > Bly's article in this monrning's newspaper.
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > >
                > > Gord Hulbert
                > > http://www.Hulbert.ca
                > > http://www.Family-Roots.ca
                > > http://www.Wersi-Users-Group.org
                > >
                > > http://www.afhs.ab.ca

              • Gord Hulbert
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
> [...]
                  > other things, a person to search all three censuses at the same time.
                  >
                  > Dave Obee of Victoria, one of the speakers at the conference, said
                  genealogy
                  > is detective work.
                  >
                  > "This is more fun than reading a detective novel," he said, "because it's
                  > real, and when you're done, you have something in your hands.
                  >
                  > "Genealogists are aware of what's going on in the world because they know
                  > things like geography, politics and persecution."
                  >
                  > There's something approaching a subculture among family history
                  enthusiasts.
                  > Among the books, maps and research aids offered for sale were more
                  whimsical
                  > items, such as bumper stickers that read "Genealogy: Living in the Past
                  > Lane," ties with old photographs on them, and T-shirts adorned with

                  http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                • william campbell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
                    SUNDAY'S HERALD   PAGE C4

                    Gord Hulbert wrote:

                    > Hi there:
                    >
                    > For those of you that receive the Calgary Herald, be sure to look for Davis
                    > Bly's article in this monrning's newspaper.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Gord Hulbert
                    > http://www.Hulbert.ca
                    > http://www.Family-Roots.ca
                    > http://www.Wersi-Users-Group.org

                    William A. Campbell
                    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

                  • E.Rodier
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
                      Page C4 in the City Section of a Herald from a coin box not far from the
                      hotel.
                      Elizabeth