RE: Sending a gedcom from a PC to a MAC

  • Suddie
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 24 12:52 PM
      On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 00:02 -0600, Xenia Stanford wrote:

      GeditCom is very good in interpreting the Gedcom 5.5 specs however it is
      not a cinch to use. Family Historian is a program that interprets the
      GEDCOM 5.5 specs well. Regardless the Gedcom specs are interpreted
      differently by all programs for a number of very valid reasons. FTM
      makes a glorious botch of notes. PAF does not follow the 5.5 specs
      having added tags from some later draft versions. If you are _really_
      interested in how bad things are check out the Gedcom Testbook Project
      report on the NGS website.

      Most programs will allow the importer of a Gedcom file to direct those
      tagged items it doesn't recognize to a specific field. Failing that
      option they provide a list of items they failed to import. These are
      usually in the form of numbered lines. Using a program like Note Tab
      Lite (a freebie) one can open the Gedcom file and number the lines
      taking care not to save the results otherwise the Gedcom will be
      useless. You can then quickly check to see what is missing. If you are
      importing an FTM file you will probably need to use a simple text file
      reader of some kind to recover some of the notes.

      Cheers

      Suddie Bill

      Lois,

      > Have you tried? Depending upon the program that creates it and the
      > program that opens it, it can work even if one system is Mac and the
      > other PC. A program can lose data when creating a Gedcom or another
      > when it opens it even if both programs are on a Mac or a PC. I have
      > not used Ancestral Quest for many years and then I did not like the
      > Gedcom features. I had my data in PAF and tried to send it as Gedcom
      > to AQ. I gave up and switched to FTM. I was able to import most of my
      > data though it took some work in setting up the fields. I exchanged
      > with a family member who had a Mac program and I was able to open most
      > of it in FTM. The fields missed were ones I didn’t know he had so I
      > could not create a field for them in FTM. I have been transferring
      > some data from FTM to Legacy because FTM corrupts and loses data that
      > has nothing to do with import/export. I export and import from the
      > same PC just different programs and I find certain fields disappear,
      > but I am not well-versed in Legacy 7 yet. So I may be able to iron
      > this out later.
      >

      > Anyway back to the MAC vs PC, I have heard about but not tried
      > GEDitCom at http://www.mse.utah.edu/~nairn/geditcom.html as that is
      > supposed to overcome the compatibility between different programs
      > regardless of the platform.
      >

      > Give it a try and see if it works. Of course, backup or create a new
      > file as a safeguard in case the experiment fails. I always backup
      > every day I work on a file and every time I want to do a merge, which
      > is often because I had to split my data among 5 different FTM files
      > because the data in my file once it corrupted would not allow a 100%
      > file transfer. (It also started losing older information once I
      > continued data entry.) Now when I want to piece a family together I
      > have to create Gedcoms from one file to open in another until I have
      > all the people together in one FTM file. FTM opens a file saved in FTM
      > format but only allows that for about 5 times. After that you have to
      > do Gedcom from one FTM file to open in another FTM file (file or
      > database).
      >

      > As Suddie said Gedcom is not the standard people assume it is. It
      > differs as much from program to program as it does from platform to
      > platform. This is apparently why GEDitCOM is supposed to be good. It
      > claims to use a true standard. As I said, I haven’t used it, those are
      > just the claims I have heard/read about. I am not sure how it can
      > “make” the other programs fit its standard. Again may be worth a try
      > if all else fails.
      >

      > Xenia Stanford

    • Suddie
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24 3:15 PM
        On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 09:13 -0600, Lois Nicholson wrote:
        > Many thanks to everyone for their input. Good information, but it
        > looks like I should have been attending the Saturday Computer Classes,
        > as I now have more questions.
        >
        > How do I change the format from .ged to .txt? Do I just prepare a
        > gedcom and change the file extension before I send it? And how do I
        > ZIP the gedcom?

        Depending on the software you have available the easiest way is to just
        change the file name from xxx.ged to xxx.txt. Or you can open the
        Gedcom file in NOTEPAD and save as a text file.
        To make a ZIP file you need an Archiver such as PKZIP. There are a lot
        of freebie programs available that will create archives, ZIP is just a
        common one.

        > Years ago I sent my cousin a gedcom to her MAC, but it wouldn't
        > import. She finally forwarded it to the LDS in Salt Lake, who put it
        > through their "washer and dryer", and from there she could import it.
        > However, I now have more info to send her.

        If your cousin is using Reunion you should have no problems. AQ does a
        pretty good job on Gedcom files, as a matter of fact it is one of two
        programs that was actually able to include images in a Gedcom, a
        function no longer included in GEDCOM 5.5 I've transferred a number of
        Gedcom files to Reunion with no problem. The Gedcom spec, if followed
        properly, takes care of the problem Gary G mentioned.

        > I'll look forward to hearing again from all you knowledgeable folks.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Lois N.

        Cheers

        Suddie Bill