Welsh Newspaper Digitization Project - of interest to Welsh researchers

  • Lynda Kleingertner
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2009

      Hi all,

      I came across this today through a newsgroup I belong to - good news indeed, although completion won't be until 2012.

      Lynda Kleingertner

      Wales’ past to go online

      Wed, 15 Apr 09 16:48:00

       £2m will be allocated from the Assembly Government’s Strategic Capital Investment Fund specifically to digitise 2 million pages of newspapers and magazines relating to Wales. The publications date as far back as the 18th century and covering up to 300 titles from children’s magazines like Cymru’r Plant to popular newspapers such as the Star of Gwent, Tarian y Gweithiwr, Herald y Rhos and  the Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian. Readers will be able to read first-hand accounts of events like the Chartist march on Newport, the Rebecca riots, early rugby and football matches and vital snippets which could help with vital clues for family and local history.

      The site will form an easily accessible teaching and research library for every university, school, college and home across Wales. It will help to address the shortage of online learning materials relating to the culture, history and identity of Wales and will create the largest body of Welsh language material yet published online.

      The complete article is here http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=1514&no_cache=1&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=2277&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=2&cHash=485724beb6