1916 census

  • Spencer Field
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 7:42 PM
      I see the 1916 census of Western Canada on Microfilm is listed in the Catalogue of the Calgary Public Library now.

      Spencer Field.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2 10:30 PM

        Speaking of the 1916 census, I tried to find a website that listed the columns because they are often hard to read and some of my clients wanted a list of the headings. So since no one else did it (that I could find), here is my list (any errors or omissions, let me know and I will update):

        Columns in 1916 Census

        Columns 1 & 2: House and Family Number in Order of recording

        Column 3: Name

        Column 4: Military Service

        Columns: 5, 6 and 7: Township, Range, Meridian for rural areas; for cities these were struck out and House number/address was written in the heading

        Column 8: Municipality, but in the case of a family in Edmonton, that was struck out and Street was written in as header

        Column 9: Relationship to head of household

        Column 10: Sex

        Column 11: Marital status (first initial from one of the following: Single, Married, Widowed, Divorced or Legally Separated)

        Column 12: Age at last birthday

        Column 13: Country or place of birth; if Canada specify province or territory

        Column 14: Religion

        Column 15: Year of immigration to Canada

        Column 16: Year of naturalization

        Column 17: Nationality

        Column 18: Racial or Tribal Origin

        Column 19: Can speak English

        Column 20: Can speak French

        Column 21: Other languages spoken as mother tongue

        Column 22: Can read

        Column 23: Can write

        Column 24: Chief occupation or trade

        Column 25: Employer = E, Employee = W, Working on own account = O.A.

        Column 26: State where person is employed, “on farm” etc.

        Xenia Stanford