WWI Casualties Archive

  • Marion Peterson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16 2:54 PM
      Hi everyone,
      I found this posted on another list.
      Marion

      WWI Casualties Archive, Red Cross, Geneva

      A long forgotten archive has been discovered. "Peter Barton was
      commissioned to carry out research into the identities of World War I
      casualties discovered in a mass grave at Fromelles in France. He was given
      access to the basement of the Red Cross headquarters in Geneva. There, he
      was allowed to examine records that have lain virtually untouched since
      1918. He estimates that there could be 20 million sets of details,
      carefully entered on card indexes, or written into ledgers."

      The Red Cross are intending to digitise, and get the 20 million records
      online, by. Have a look at this BBC news story link :

      http://news. bbc.co.uk/ 2/hi/uk_news/ 7940540.stm