Re: England Civil Registration

  • Ellen Kinghorn
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
      If I understand this recent increase in fees correctly, does this not help
      us make a case for the Calgary Family History Centre to bring in the Ontario
      Civil Registrations for births, marriages and deaths?

      I would be more willing to pay for the films to come into the Calgary Centre
      and stay here, than to send $32 U.S. to Salt Lake City to have 8
      certificates Xeroxed.

      I realize other alternatives exist. I can drive to the Edmonton (220 miles)
      or Lethbridge (120 miles)Family History Centres several times a year.
      Edmonton has films of the actual certificates for most years. It is only
      the most recent years that are sporadic.

      In addition, I would really like to see the indexes to the registrations up
      on the internet. (I don't want much do I?).

      Thanks for confirming the "nasty rumor", Judi.

      Sincerely,
      Ellen Kinghorn
      Email: ellen@...
      Webpage: www.kinghorn.ca

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
        With the increases in copy prices does anyone know where you can get money orders cheap?

        It's not the increase in copies that has me in a flap so much as it is that the minimum charge has gone up to US $4.00 as well.   I guess I won't be sending the cash in an envelope anymore.  ....I know I should have done that in the first place, but I  just hate having to pay the CDN  $5.00 service charge for a money order especially when it's for such a small amount.  Is there a better way?   ...Any ideas...? Thanks.

        Genealogically yours,

        Researching: FORTE, FERRARA, DUDLEY, THOMAS
        Alison's Genealogy Page:  http://members.shaw.ca/alison.forte
        NIVEN Family Connections:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~niven

        > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
        $2.00
        early 1980s.  The cost will now
        > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
        page
        > numbers are provided).  There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
        The
        > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00.  Postage
        charges
        > are included in the price of the copy.
        >
        > Judi Lee

      • Ellen Kinghorn
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
          Alison:  I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and there is no charge...American or International.

          Ellen Kinghorn
          Email: ellen@...

          > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
          $2.00
          early 1980s.  The cost will now
          > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
          page
          > numbers are provided).  There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
          The
          > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00.  Postage
          charges
          > are included in the price of the copy.
          >
          > Judi Lee

        • Judith Rempel
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
            I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
            get this benefit.

            --
            In Kinship,
            Judith Rempel, Webster

            and

            afhs@...

            Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

            FamilyRoots 2002
          • Lois Sparling
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
              Dear Ellen

              The free money orders at the Royal Bank depend on what type of service
              plan you have.

              Lois Sparling
            • Frank Morrow
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002

                Hi Lucky', I too get mine for free at CIBC - hey, it rhymes. This is one of the few benefits of being a 'senior'.
              • Richard Trostem
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002
                  That's in the process of changing at thr Royal, regardless of what
                  service you have. I believe that effective July 1, if you purchase more
                  than twelve money orders in a calendar year, the charge will be
                  $10.00/order (after the free 12). It's something like that, but your
                  Royal Bank can tell you the specifics, if you ask.

                  Richard

                  Judith Rempel wrote:

                  > I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
                  > get this benefit.
                  >
                  > Alison: I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and
                  > there is no charge...American or International.
                  >
                  > --
                  > In Kinship,
                  > Judith Rempel, Webster
                  > rempel@...
                  > JR Solutions
                  > http://www.jrsolutions.net
                  >
                  > and
                  >
                  > afhs@...
                  > Alberta Family Histories Society
                  > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                  >
                  > Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                  > http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/
                  >
                  > FamilyRoots 2002
                  > http://www.family-roots.ca
                  > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                  > http://www.family-roots.ca
                • Rene
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002
                    Gordon:

                    > From Ancestry.com I have a number of people where I have the Record
                    > Type, District, Year, Quarter, Volume and Page#
                    >
                    > Can I get certificates through the LDS or do I hve to get them through
                    > the PRO. Or would a researcher be better to get me these certificates.

                    Sorry that I did not join in this discussion sooner but I have had problems
                    with my e-mail service.

                    You cannot get English civil registration certificates from the LDS.

                    My advice on obtaining civil registration certificates is undernoted.
                    First, however, I have a couple of comments to make:

                    1. It is true that if a marriage appears in the IGI or the British Vital
                    Records Index you can get a copy of the entry in the church register from
                    SLC providing you correctly identify the source.

                    Some disadvantages to this approach are:

                    (a) Many post-1837 church registers have not been filmed by the LDS.

                    (b) The time lapse for obtaining a photocopy from SLC is two months.
                    This was my personal experience when applying for a copy of a Scottish
                    marriage certificate earlier this year.

                    (c) The new charge (effective January 1, 2003) of $4 US minimum/order
                    has to be taken into account.

                    2. From several contributors to this discussion it is apparent that they
                    are concerned about the cost of a sterling money order from the bank. If
                    this is a concern and you prefer to use a credit card then you have two
                    choices:

                    (a) You can purchase a certificate from the Office of National
                    Statistics (General Register Office), Southport (using a credit card) in
                    one of two ways:

                    Order by telephone on +44 (0)870 243 77 88
                    Fax +44(0)1704 550013

                    See their website:

                    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/nsbase/registration/certe_w/fees.asp

                    for full details. The cost is 8 pounds sterling with full GRO Reference
                    number. Note that if you give an incorrect GRO reference number you will
                    not receive a certificate and an administration fee of four pounds, fifty
                    pence will be charged. Note also that no refund under five pounds will be
                    issued to an overseas applicant. In effect, therefore, you will have paid 8
                    pounds for nothing.

                    (b) You can use a Record Agent to obtain the certificate for you. Many
                    professional researchers advertise their services in the Family Tree
                    Magazine (copies at the FHC and in the AFHS library). For faster service
                    choose one who has an e-mail address. Some dist-gen members (Peter van
                    Schaik among them) can recommend reliable agents.

                    * * *

                    Now for my suggested course of action.

                    Write to the Register Office where the event was registered. DO NOT quote
                    the volume and page number (GRO reference number). Be sure to quote the
                    quarter and year in which you found the entry on the indexes.
                    Theoretically, they will search for an event for five years but it is much
                    better to check the indexes first before placing your order.

                    Check the current address for the Register Office in question at:

                    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/blangston/genuki/reg/

                    Enclose a sterling cheque or money order for seven pounds. This includes
                    return airmail postage.

                    There should be no difficulty in obtaining a copy of a birth or death
                    certificate from the local Register Office. It has been my experience that
                    local offices give return mail service so you can expect to receive the
                    certificate in about 3 weeks.

                    If the event is a marriage the local Register Office needs to have some
                    idea of the church where the marriage took place. If you do not know the
                    particular church but know the area where the bride lived before marriage
                    that would be helpful. This is because in a large city there could be 30 or
                    more marriage registers and it is too time-consuming for the staff at the
                    Register Office to look through them all to find your marriage. What they
                    will do is to look in the register for the mother church of the area, plus
                    the Register Office's own register. Their register will contain all
                    non-conformist marriages where a Registrar was required to be present up to
                    at least 1898, plus all marriages that took place in the Register Office
                    itself.

                    If for any reason the local Register Office cannot provide a copy of the
                    event requested they will return your money in full and refer you to the
                    General Register Office at Southport (this office deals with all postal
                    enquiries).

                    If it is necessary to write to Southport you need to quote the full GRO
                    reference.

                    The cost is eight pounds sterling if you supply the full GRO reference
                    number. Without the reference number the cost is 11 pounds. The mailing
                    address is:

                    General Register Office
                    PO Box 2
                    Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD
                    UK

                    Service from Southport is generally slower than from a local Register
                    Office.

                    I hope this helps.

                    Rene