Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: English Research

Expand Messages
  • Clare Westbury
    Re. Robert Boynton s posting Usually English hospital records are closed for 100 years, so no luck there. Best bet is to find which cemetery he was buried as
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2009
      Re. Robert Boynton's posting

      Usually English hospital records are closed for 100 years, so no luck there.  Best bet is to find which cemetery he was buried as he was not apparently cremated?  Local  funeral home should be in a 50's street directory, which might confirm the name of the chap who "caused him to be buried"  They should know which cemetery they usually used, unless, of course, he was buried where he lived, as you say he was not there when he died.    Good luck.  Clare Westbury

      On 6-Mar-09, at 1:18 PM, Robert Boynton wrote:

      Please let me re-iterate my request.
      I am looking specifically for anyone who has had experience acquiring hospital records in England, funeral home records in 
      England and/or burial permit records in England.
      The answer on how to retrieve these records does not seem to be readily available on the internet.
      The person I am researching was not married.
      I have their death record in which their name is misspelled.  I know it is the correct person because the address they have on the DC is close to the address that they lived in, via voting registers.  They died well away from where they lived and this person probably was not known where they died.
      The informant is a stranger, probably a funeral director.
      The information on the DC has the name, the hospital, their age, what they died from, their home address and the intials and last name of the informant, "who caused them to be buried".
      Thanks for the efforts so far.
      Rob Boynton
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 11:19 AM
      Subject: English Research

      I was wondering if anyone had ever done this type of research in England.
      I have a death which took place in 1958.
      The name on the Death Certificate is spelled incorrectly.
      I would like to try some other records which would prove my case more thoroughly.  Unfortunately, the family has died out and so there is not assistance available there.
      The methods of ratifying this death might be
      a.The actual hospital records
      b.The burial records
      c.  The funeral home records
      I contacted the hospital where the person died and so far, no-one knows if they have the record.
      I phone the only local Cemetery Crematorium in the little place where the person died and they said they, being a crematorium, do not need a permit for cremation so they know nothing about Burial Certificates and to call the local Council.
      There is not a funeral home that exists now in this place that existed in 1958.
      So, does anyone know if there are burial permits in England, and if so, Who is the holder of these records.
      I always thought the English records were quite good.
      I now have a marriage certificate where the fathers name for both the bride and groom is not mentioned, just deceased and they do not name the mothers of the bride and groom.
      I have a death certifciate in the above matter and it is quite vague as the Informant on the Death Certificate is a named person, "causing the body to be buried."
      In these cases, the information on these certificates is very poor.
      Any ideas?

    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.