RE: English Research

  • LAK Research & Information Mgt
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6 11:58 AM

      Hi Robert,

      I have a couple of ideas…

      You mentioned the marriage certificate is not helpful, but might you be able to track the application for the marriage?  Perhaps that would have something you can use.

      Another possibility is wills or probate records.  Off-hand I don’t know who you’d contact, but they should be publically available (if there was a will, of course!).

      I was in Ipswich last year and visited the cemetery there and the office was truly amazing.  They had the registry books going back at least to the mid-1800’s.  I would image there would be something like that at your little cemetery, too.  The records indicated who purchased (in my case) the plots and the like.

      Finally, how about the newspapers?  You can get the London times from the 1700’s to present via the Calgary Public Library web site.  It’s free but you have to have a library card.

      Good luck!

      Laura

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2011
        Hi, This info may be of interest to those doing Engllish research.
        Rosemary

        After many years as Overseas Magazine Co-ordinator, David Hollick has
        decided to hang up his hat and retire.  We do have a new Co-ordinator, and I
        would be grateful if you could please change your records accordingly.

        The new Co-ordinator is:

        Miss Marion Hall
        22 Lilac Avenue
        Streetly
        Sutton Coldfield
        West Midlands
        B74 3TB
        England

        Her email address is: hall_marion@...

        Regards

        Jackie Cotterill

        Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy & Heraldry
        5 Sanderling Court
        Spennells
        Kidderminster
        Worcs, DY10 4TS