English Research

  • Robert Boynton
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6 10:19 AM
      Hi

      I was wondering if anyone had ever done this type of research in England.

      I have a death which took place in 1958.

      The name on the Death Certificate is spelled incorrectly.

      I would like to try some other records which would prove my case more thoroughly.  Unfortunately, the family has died out and so there is not assistance available there.

      The methods of ratifying this death might be

      a.The actual hospital records

      b.The burial records

      c.  The funeral home records

      I contacted the hospital where the person died and so far, no-one knows if they have the record.

      I phone the only local Cemetery Crematorium in the little place where the person died and they said they, being a crematorium, do not need a permit for cremation so they know nothing about Burial Certificates and to call the local Council.

      There is not a funeral home that exists now in this place that existed in 1958.

      So, does anyone know if there are burial permits in England, and if so, Who is the holder of these records.

      I always thought the English records were quite good.

      I now have a marriage certificate where the fathers name for both the bride and groom is not mentioned, just deceased and they do not name the mothers of the bride and groom.

      I have a death certifciate in the above matter and it is quite vague as the Informant on the Death Certificate is a named person, "causing the body to be buried."

      In these cases, the information on these certificates is very poor.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks

      Robert
    • LAK Research & Information Mgt
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6 11:58 AM

        Hi Robert,

        I have a couple of ideas…

        You mentioned the marriage certificate is not helpful, but might you be able to track the application for the marriage?  Perhaps that would have something you can use.

        Another possibility is wills or probate records.  Off-hand I don’t know who you’d contact, but they should be publically available (if there was a will, of course!).

        I was in Ipswich last year and visited the cemetery there and the office was truly amazing.  They had the registry books going back at least to the mid-1800’s.  I would image there would be something like that at your little cemetery, too.  The records indicated who purchased (in my case) the plots and the like.

        Finally, how about the newspapers?  You can get the London times from the 1700’s to present via the Calgary Public Library web site.  It’s free but you have to have a library card.

        Good luck!

        Laura

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 15, 2011
          Hi, This info may be of interest to those doing Engllish research.
          Rosemary

          After many years as Overseas Magazine Co-ordinator, David Hollick has
          decided to hang up his hat and retire.  We do have a new Co-ordinator, and I
          would be grateful if you could please change your records accordingly.

          The new Co-ordinator is:

          Miss Marion Hall
          22 Lilac Avenue
          Streetly
          Sutton Coldfield
          West Midlands
          B74 3TB
          England

          Her email address is: hall_marion@...

          Regards

          Jackie Cotterill

          Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy & Heraldry
          5 Sanderling Court
          Spennells
          Kidderminster
          Worcs, DY10 4TS