Vista Problem

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4 10:06 AM
      Hello:

      I sent the following plea for help to "Computips" last month but did not get a
      reply. Now I am hoping that someone on dist-gen knows what to do.

      My operating system is Windows 2000. I sent a Microsoft Word document as an
      attachment to an e-mail to a cousin in England. She has recently acquired a new
      laptop and the operating system is Vista. She says:

      "It would not let me open your attachment. Apparently photo attachments are no
      problem but because it was Word it would not let me do it. It was telling me to
      create an association in the SET ASSOCIATION CONTROL PANEL, but I could not find
      this at all."

      She solved the problem by forwarding my e-mail to a friend who was able to open
      my document and print it out for my cousin. This, of course, is not a permanent
      solution.

      I know nothing about Vista so I would appreciate help from someone who does.

      Rene
    • Robert Boynton
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4 11:24 AM
        The problem is how to convert a Word or Text file document into a Tiff or
        JPG format

        I am not an expert.

        Try this software.

        http://www.blackice.com/Document%20Conversion/ConvertDOCtoGIF.htm

        I do not know if this other method will work.

        Right click on the document photo, go to Edit, In Edit you may or may not
        get a chance to Save in another format.

        If you can, save as a Tiff or jpg document.

        Rob
        > I sent the following plea for help to "Computips" last month but did not
        > get a
        > reply. Now I am hoping that someone on dist-gen knows what to do.
        >
        > My operating system is Windows 2000. I sent a Microsoft Word document as
        > an
        > attachment to an e-mail to a cousin in England. She has recently acquired
        > a new
        > laptop and the operating system is Vista. She says:
        >
        > "It would not let me open your attachment. Apparently photo attachments
        > are no
        > problem but because it was Word it would not let me do it. It was telling
        > me to
        > create an association in the SET ASSOCIATION CONTROL PANEL, but I could
        > not find
        > this at all."
        >
        > She solved the problem by forwarding my e-mail to a friend who was able to
        > open
        > my document and print it out for my cousin. This, of course, is not a
        > permanent
        > solution.
        >
        > I know nothing about Vista so I would appreciate help from someone who
        > does.
        >
        > Rene

      • Judith Rempel
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4 4:30 PM
          I actually suspect that the problem is not with Vista.

          Microsoft Office 2007 stores files in a new format so that Excel files have
          the extension .xlsx and Word files have the extension .docx There may well
          be "viewers" online already at the Microsoft.com website.

          Alternatively, you could ask your correspondents to send them in a backward
          compatible format (Word 2003 uses .doc and Excel uses .xls). Or, if they
          struggle with that, I can read Office 2003 and Office 2007 files (and could
          "translate" them for you).

          BTW, I'm still using the XP operating system. Office 2007 is completely
          compatible with it and I'm very happy with Office 2007 (esp Excel which now
          has the capacity for up to 1 million lines of data. The 2003 version only
          could handle 64,000 as I recall).

          Judith Rempel
          rempel@...

          http://www.eset.com