1916 census - LDS answer

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2009

      Here’s the answer just received from the folks at FamilySearch.org.  It looks as courteous/respectful as possible to me, but it looks like we’re in for a technical wait.  LDS folks have very sophisticated technical people and so if it really is just a technical authentication problem, I’m sure this will be overcome within months.  However, the privacy considerations implied by the Dec 2011 date are likely unmoveable.

      Judith Rempel, B.A., M.A., Coordinator

      queries@... & rempel@...

      Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta

      The Canadian 1916 and 1901 censuses are not available on Record Search at this time due to contractual concerns.  The contract specifies that the index, with links to the TGN's images, will be made available to the general public in three years,  on Dec 19 2011.

      The collections will be available, however, to FamilySearch members as soon as the authentication process in in place.

      Other years of the Canada Census, which are coming soon, will be available as free indexes to the public, and will be able to be posted even before authentication is available."

      The go live date will be Dec. 19, 2011.  The second paragraph refers to a situation that isn't in place yet, where registered members of FamilySearch.org (including the general public) will be the only ones with access to Record Search.  At that situation is not in place at this time.  Anyone can access Record Search as of now and thus no one can access the 1916 census records.  I know this sounds strange but it is due to the contract that was signed regarding this collection.

      We do hope the above answers your questions.  Be patient and, one way or the other, this collection will eventually be available.

      FamilySearch Support