RE: Possible redirect virus related to Google searches

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2009

      Hi Jim and all,

      Yes, I have found this virus attempting to do the same tricky stuff with my computer, but I use AVG and they pretty much update the virus detection daily. The result is it throttled the virus before it was embedded on my computer. AVG refused to allow the porn page to upload. So it tackled the beast with a two-prong approach. I wondered why a normally safe genealogy site I had visited before was not loading and why AVG was saying it was a bad site. I follow all the precautions of avoiding “fishy” sites, not opening any attachments unless I feel it is safe, but the most important precaution I take is keeping my antivirus software up to date. It is what saves the day on both email and websites.

      I also have a registry cleaner and an anti-spyware program - in addition to manually removing cookies daily or several times a day.

      I heard a computer expert on TV today saying “security and the Internet is an oxymoron!” So we need all the help we can get. I look forward to reading what you write for your April column Jim. Maybe you will touch on lessening the oxymoron!

      Xenia