Find My Past

  • butlere@netidea.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2008
      I am thinking of joining FindMyPast.com, and wondered what others have
      found. Is it worth the cost?

      Thanks for any responses in advance.
      Elaine
    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2008
        I have a pay per view account with them and that suits me. I have also
        chosen to have a one-year international subscription With ancestry.com and
        have found it invaluable for my current research (I've saved over 100 images
        of census and other records), but once that's complete I may find other
        subscriptions provide more value.

        "Worth the cost" - what are your criteria? Each person has different
        * research resources (discretionary money)
        * research needs (e.g., to prove a line that will result in an inheritance,
        to clarify medical issues, etc.)
        * research wishes (do you want visual image proof of data or simply
        transcription indication of proof)
        * etc.

        Have you used the indexes (free) to determine that they likely have enough
        images of relevance to your research online to merit a subscription
        investment?

        Come up with a rough number of how many images you expect to find, then
        divide the subscription cost by that number. Individual image proofs can
        cost $20-50 in some cases when you order from a government office - then one
        generally only gets the ones that they consider "essential". If you find
        the images at this site could average $5 or less - that's obviously a
        bargain in comparison. But $5 each for many images - is that within your
        genealogy budget?

        Have you compared what they have to offer versus ancestry.com or other
        subscriptions that you have (or could purchase - there are a lot of options
        now for UK)?

        While focused specifically on UK, FindMyPast also provides a good index to
        passenger lists from UK to Canada - voyages that were only the tail end of
        arrival in N America. So even if one doesn't have UK roots, the passenger
        lists can be very helpful (e.g., I've used it successfully to locate persons
        emigrating from Russia through England to Canada). I've also used their
        indexes successfully to pinpoint images in the Cdn National Archives
        unindexed passenger lists.

        My comments certainly aren't definitive, but perhaps these and other
        contributed criteria provide a basis for you to make a decision.

        Best,

        Judith Rempel, B.A., M.A., Coordinator
        queries@... & rempel@...

        Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta