death of Paul McGrath

  • Lorna Laughton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2008

      Hello All:

      Unfortunately, the news is true. Paul McGrath died last Friday in Scotland. This is a great loss to the Canadian genealogy community. Those of us (Helen, Linda, Marion, Iola, and I) who were at the OGS Conference in London, Ontario, in June, heard Paul’s presentations and talked with him.

      The message following is from the Ontario Genealogy Society President, Don Hinchley.

      Lorna Laughton

      -----------------------

      Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:51 PM
      Subject: Paul McGrath

      Good afternoon,

      It is with deep regret that I inform you of the death of Paul McGrath. Paul, in addition to being chair of the Toronto Branch, played a large role in the popular genealogy series Ancestors in the Attic.

      Paul died of an apparent heart attack in Scotland while filming an edition of Ancestors. I learned of Paul’s death late last Friday but there were few details. Last evening I attended the Toronto Branch meeting. There was a few moments silence in remembrance of Paul. The Branch plans a more formal tribute at its November meeting.

      At this point I have few details other than what I have related above. The OGS will be discussing some form of recognition of Paul’s contribution to genealogy at its November Executive and Director’s meetings.

      As a personal note I will long remember Paul’s address at the Saturday Banquet during Conference 2008 in London. He related several humorous incidents related to the filming of Ancestors. Many of us were fortunate to hear Paul speak at a Conference or Branch meeting. All genealogists will miss his contribution to our passion. Paul’s passing is a loss of a great genealogist.

      Fraser or I will forward any further details as we receive them.

      Don Hinchley, President

      Dr Fraser Dunford, Executive Director, Ontario Genealogical Society

      102 - 40 Orchard View Blvd, Toronto, Ontario, M4R 1B9

      Tel: 416-489-0734. Fax: 416-489-9803, www.ogs.on.ca