bower and the Celtic SIG

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2008
      For those of you mystified about messages about "bower", this is a
      puzzle I put to the Celtic SIG mailing list. I have a great great uncle
      whose occupation in two consecutive Scottish census was bower. One
      possible meaning is one who makes bows as in bow and arrows. Another
      and more likely definition in this case is someone who rents milk cows
      with pasture. The cows and pasture belong to someone else. The bower
      rents them, does the work of caring for the cows and milking them, and
      earns income from selling the milk. A similar word is "boer", as in
      South African Boers.

      Lois Sparling