ADOPTIONS

  • william campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2008
      Hi folks:

      This information just came to me on an Irish mailing list.

      new legislation in Canada has made it possible for birth parents and
      adoptees to have access to the original identifying information regarding
      their adoptions. This is huge progress for people trying to find their
      birth families or the children who were placed.
      There is the possibility of a 'no contact' clause that the original parties
      are able to place on file so that they cannot be contacted, but at least the
      identifying information is available.

      Did I miss an announcement?

      Can anyone verify this and if so how do we access the data?

      Cheers

      BILL

      --
      WILLIAM CAMPBELL
      CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 21, 2008
        In my very limited experience, and excuse me if I am mistaken, my only
        comment is that Adoption records in Canada are a Provincial jursidiction..

        Perhaps one Province in Canada changed their restrictions on access to
        records.

        RB
        > This information just came to me on an Irish mailing list.
        >
        > new legislation in Canada has made it possible for birth parents and
        > adoptees to have access to the original identifying information regarding
        > their adoptions. This is huge progress for people trying to find their
        > birth families or the children who were placed.
        > There is the possibility of a 'no contact' clause that the original
        > parties are able to place on file so that they cannot be contacted, but at
        > least the identifying information is available.
        >

        > Did I miss an announcement?
        >
        > Can anyone verify this and if so how do we access the data?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > BILL
        >
        > --
        > WILLIAM CAMPBELL
        > CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

      • Gord Hulbert
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 21, 2008

          ----- Original Message ----- From: "william campbell" <wacampbell@...>
          This information just came to me on an Irish mailing list.

          new legislation in Canada has made it possible for birth parents and adoptees to have access to the original identifying information regarding their adoptions.  This is huge progress for people trying to find their birth families or the children who were placed.
          There is the possibility of a 'no contact' clause that the original parties are able to place on file so that they cannot be contacted, but at least the identifying information is available.

          Did I miss an announcement?

          Can anyone verify this and if so how do we access the data?

          Cheers

          BILL

          --
          WILLIAM CAMPBELL
          CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

          Hi all:

          I'm of the same opinion.  Alberta made this info available a couple of years ago.  My youngest daughter made good use of it.

          --
          Regards,

          Gordon Hulbert

          "I've seen it all, done it all, heard it all. I just can't remember it all!"
        • Marion Peterson
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2008
            I saw an ad in the Calgary Herald a few days ago that indicated that Ontario adoption records were now available. I did not clip it out, however.

            Marion