Gord Hulbert Here - Mumford Update

  • Gord Hulbert
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2008
      Hi all:

      I just spoke to Evelyn Mumford.  Bill has moved from the Calgary Hospital and is now in the Black Diamond Hospital.  Currently, things are not too good.  He is a paraplegic.  Immediately after the operation, he could wiggle his toes.  After some x-rays, he couldn't.  However, with extensive therapy in BD, they hope to see improvement.

      I'm sure it's safe to say that Bill is a good friend to all of us.  His contribution to our society has been unparalleled.  I pray that he once again will be up and around and join in on our activities.
      --
      Regards,

      Gordon Hulbert

      "I've seen it all, done it all, heard it all. I just can't remember it all!"
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2008

        Thanks Gordon for letting us know. It is hard to imagine such an energetic man with such enthusiasm for genealogy, especially computers  and genealogy, as a paraplegic. I join in with my prayers as well.

        Xenia

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 16, 2008
          I am hopeful that Suddie would be able to pursue many of his interests,
          including genealogy, even if he does not regain the use of his legs.
          Obviously a full(er) recovery would be the best for him and his family
          but a nice sedentary hobby/avocation like family history research will
          keep his spirits up in the meantime, I hope. We can all help him with
          that if need be.

          Lois Sparling

          Xenia Stanford wrote:

          > Thanks Gordon for letting us know. It is hard to imagine such an
          > energetic man with such enthusiasm for genealogy, especially
          > computers and genealogy, as a paraplegic. I join in with my prayers
          > as well.
          >

          > Xenia

        • Suddie Bill
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
            My thanks to all for the kind words and best wishes with regard to my
            operation that didn't work out exactly as I would have wished. I posted
            a couple of pictures on my Facebook page so hopefully you will recognize
            me next time you see me. One of my bridge playing people walked right
            by me while I was sitting in the rotunda of the hospital. His wife
            looked at me and said "Bill?". When I replied yes she dragged her
            husband over. He still didn't recognize me. I've lost close to 70
            pounds, most of which was muscle. As a result I tire easily but rehab
            physio is going well. I was discharged from hospital on Friday, a week
            before the doctor or physio folks felt advisable but 6 weeks of hospital
            life is more than enough for anyone. I'm in a wheelchair and have ankle
            and foot braces. This allows me to walk a short distance with a non
            wheeled walker.

            If all goes well I should be able to drive my car in four or five
            months. If that comes to pass one of the first items of business will
            be to get back to the Computer Group meetings. I'm getting out of
            touch with the world. :-)

            Cheers

            Suddie Bill
          • Gord Hulbert
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
              Hi all:

              As most of you know, our friend and colleague, Suddie 'Bill' Mumford is battling cancer.  I talked to his wife, Ev, just before dinner.  The prognoses is not good.  He is in a great deal of pain.  The pain killers have caused him to loose his appetite.  Consequently, he is loosing weight.  He's currently in intensive care at the Black Diamond hospital.  Ev promised to keep in touch with me. The last time I saw Suddie was last spring when he brought a copy of his Family History book he just published to the Computer SIG meeting.
              It was a huge volume, compiled in a fashion that only Suddie could do.  He was a strong believer in the expression, 'Publish before you perish'.

              When I hear any news I'll keep you informed.
              --
              Regards,

              Gord Hulbert
              Email: Gordon@...
              Home: (403) 240-4636
              Cell:    (403) 669-8384

              "When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds."
            • gisele
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
                Very sorry to hear aboth Bill I worked along with him at the LDS library for many years

                Gisele