RE: Early French Handwriting

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
      Hi Joyce,

      I would address this to you only, but I want it to be clear to all that I
      was not ripping into you. I was supporting you in the importance of knowing
      whether the document pertains to you before getting it translated for money.
      I gave a humorous example to support you on that point.

      I also said at the end the very point that you make about the time
      constraints. I said:

      > I don't know if your talk is available in any form that
      > can be posted to the
      > website. If it can be, I would love to read what you
      > covered and then I
      > would be in the know and not seem like I am contradicting
      > what you said, but
      > only adding information you may not have thought of or
      > couldn't fit in the
      > timeframe given. I know I never can!

      Please read the last section of that comment for saying exactly that - i.e.
      you cannot cover everything in the timeframe given - I know I never can! So
      I am right with you on both these points. As for the other point I threw in
      (fs), I only did so because it is one of the questions I am most frequently
      asked in regard to French writing. It was to add a bit of information that
      you may or may not have covered. Not to rip you apart.

      So please do not feel I am ripping you apart - especially in the previous
      message where I supported you on the points you made in your post to me and
      cced to everyone. If this is still not clear enough that I am supporting and
      adding, not contradicting, then I apologize. I also apologize if the first
      email from me on this subject. I did not understand the context, but once I
      did, my next message was to support what you said.

      If these explanations and apologies are still not enough, let's chat via
      email or phone privately.

      Xenia Stanford

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
        Xenia,

        Why don't you open a new thread and just expound on your own opinion of computer translators, etc. without drawing me and my talk personally into it? As I keep saying, this was a thread intended to provide a specific URL to a specific person. You still have no idea what the intent and scope of my talk actually was. To be absolutely clear on that now, I just used a French example to show how computer translators function, what buttons to press, etc., to demonstrate that they will take in whole webpages, extend a Google search to look for an equivalent "foreign language" site, etc. I also gave out some additional URLs to terminology databases, genealogy word lists, number systems in other languages, etc. so that people who do use the web to translate things can do a little better than just accepting what one computer translator tells them.

        From your first post (although you weren't there), you seem to have originally assumed that the talk was too "pro-computer-translator" so you opened up with the suggestion that I was erroneous in suggesting that anyone use them to translate a French vital record with accuracy. I believe you said there was a much better way. Forgive me, but that was "ripping" into me without even taking the time to figure out where I was really coming from.

        My second post reiterated that the post was directly to a specific person, so you came back with the suggestion that I had not made my post clear to everyone who was not at the meeting. (This also seems to me to "rip" into me.) My last post said that the original post clearly did say that it was not my intent to direct this post to everyone, so now you suggest that the reason you wont take this private is that you want it is I who am misunderstanding you and not the other way around, yet you keep tying everything to a talk that you have never heard.

        Will I post it now so that you can use your superior experience in translation issues to criticize it more concretely? Not on your life. At this point, I'm of a mind that this will be the LAST talk I will agree to try to give to this club.

      • J. Metcalfe
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
          Hi everyone on this list,

          Before this thread is, I hope, allowed to just die, there are three apologies I would like to make publicly:

          1) To the unnamed gentlemen to whom my initial post on this thread was addressed and intended - I'm sorry my original post to you initiated this catastrophe and I hope you will still consider investigating the URL I posted relative to your question. It is, in my opinion, a very good website.

          2) To Diane Granger - I'm sorry to forgetting and resorting to using quotation marks. It is a bad habit that I will have to work harder to break.

          3) To Xenia - I'm sorry to using the phrase "rip into." It was harsh and only served to exacerbate the situation.

          Joyce

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
            Hi Joyce and all,

            I wish to apologize to Joyce for my arrogant know it all messages that
            served to discredit her for a talk I did not attend, so for which I have no
            knowledge of what she said or did not say there. I thoughtlessly jumped in
            without properly stating that I was not in attendance and so my remarks were
            off the cuff.

            Although I did not intend to discredit her or devalue her advice, I realize
            that is how it came out and I am truly sorry.

            I too hope the unnamed gentleman and others try the website. Thank you Joyce
            for pointing it out. Another confession, I never visited the website before
            jumping into the discussion publicly. Also I was the one who should have
            taken the discussion off the list after seeing how my message came across to
            Joyce and probably to the rest of you. I should not have subjected those of
            you on this list to any of this discussion. My bad all around.

            I hope Joyce will forgive me and we can once again at least someday go back
            to our previous state of friendliness. I know I don't deserve it, but I hope
            Joyce will be the better woman and forgive me. I also hope it is not the
            last time she gives a talk. Although I did not attend, I know from the last
            Quebec SIG meeting she had valuable experiences and insight to offer me as
            well as the others in attendance.

            I know I will certainly strive to lose my know it all attitude and treat
            others with respect. Sometimes I must admit I just jump in to save the day
            when there is no saving necessary.

            With sincere apologies to Joyce and all of you,

            Xenia Stanford

            Before this thread is, I hope, allowed to just die, there are three
            apologies I would like to make publicly:

            1) To the unnamed gentlemen to whom my initial post on this thread was
            addressed and intended - I'm sorry my original post to you initiated this
            catastrophe and I hope you will still consider investigating the URL I
            posted relative to your question. It is, in my opinion, a very good
            website.

            2) To Diane Granger - I'm sorry to forgetting and resorting to using
            quotation marks. It is a bad habit that I will have to work harder to
            break.

            3) To Xenia - I'm sorry to using the phrase "rip into." It was harsh and
            only served to exacerbate the situation.

            Joyce

            7:01 AM
          • J. Metcalfe
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
              Hi Xenia,

              Thank you for your wonderful apology. It is gladly and whole-heartedly accepted. Again, I am sorry for my poor choice of words that also set us off on this regrettable tangent.

              All the best,
              Joyce

              http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
                Thank you Joyce for accepting my apology.

                I would leave it there but I noticed that in my last message I did not word
                one sentence correctly and so it did not give full credit to Joyce's
                contribution to the last Quebec SIG meeting that I attended. I said
                "Although I did not attend, I know from the last Quebec SIG meeting she had
                valuable experiences and insight to offer me as well as the others in
                attendance." It sounded like I did not attend the last SIG meeting and so
                did not fully know what value she contributed. What I meant was "Although I
                did not attend Joyce's talk on Monday night, I know from the last Quebec SIG
                meeting that I did attend, Joyce had experiences and insight that were
                valuable to me as well as others who attended that meeting."

                I certainly do not know it all and have learned most of what I do know from
                others and am still open to learning from other people who may be newer to
                this pursuit than me. This old dog can learn new tricks. I have now learned
                some valuables lessons from Joyce in how to show respect and not discourage
                her or others from offering what they know at the meetings, on this list or
                in any other forum.

                Xenia Stanford

                Thank you for your wonderful apology. It is gladly and whole-heartedly
                accepted. Again, I am sorry for my poor choice of words that also set us
                off on this regrettable tangent.

                All the best,
                Joyce

                > I wish to apologize to Joyce for my arrogant know it all
                > messages that
                > served to discredit her for a talk I did not attend, so for
                > which I have no
                > knowledge of what she said or did not say there. I
                > thoughtlessly jumped in
                > without properly stating that I was not in attendance and
                > so my remarks were
                > off the cuff.
                >
                > Although I did not intend to discredit her or devalue her
                > advice, I realize
                > that is how it came out and I am truly sorry.
                >
                > I too hope the unnamed gentleman and others try the
                > website. Thank you Joyce
                > for pointing it out. Another confession, I never visited
                > the website before
                > jumping into the discussion publicly. Also I was the one
                > who should have
                > taken the discussion off the list after seeing how my
                > message came across to
                > Joyce and probably to the rest of you. I should not have
                > subjected those of
                > you on this list to any of this discussion. My bad all
                > around.
                >
                > I hope Joyce will forgive me and we can once again at least
                > someday go back
                > to our previous state of friendliness. I know I don't
                > deserve it, but I hope
                > Joyce will be the better woman and forgive me. I also hope
                > it is not the
                > last time she gives a talk. Although I did not attend, I
                > know from the last
                > Quebec SIG meeting she had valuable experiences and insight
                > to offer me as
                > well as the others in attendance.
                >
                > I know I will certainly strive to lose my know it all
                > attitude and treat
                > others with respect. Sometimes I must admit I just jump in
                > to save the day
                > when there is no saving necessary.
                >
                > With sincere apologies to Joyce and all of you,
                >
                > Xenia Stanford

                7:01 AM