RE: Early French Handwriting

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
      Hi Joyce,

      Yes, I had hoped to attend because it is a subject about which I can learn
      more and in which I have some knowledge to offer, but in missing what you
      said in the talk does run the chance I am saying something you already said
      or seeming to contradict it. However, I am not the only one on dist-gen who
      was not at the talk and so may have the same confusion about context that I
      did.

      As for seeing if the document is actually one they want to pay to have
      translated, you are right. When I volunteered at FHC as one of the
      Quebec/French document experts, a fellow excitedly called me over to look at
      a document he was sure said important things about his Jolivet family. I
      looked at the document and could see no mention of any Jolivet. He then
      pointed to the word that to him said Jolivet. It was the date: juillet. Good
      thing he didn't take that one off have translated for $$!

      I don't know if you covered it, but I am constantly asked by researchers
      about the fs for the double s in French text. For example, they will say
      something like, "Why is my Masse ancestor written as Mafse." The answer is
      because old and not so old French (and I have found in some British
      documents influenced by French tradition) used fs to signify ss.

      I don't know if your talk is available in any form that can be posted to the
      website. If it can be, I would love to read what you covered and then I
      would be in the know and not seem like I am contradicting what you said, but
      only adding information you may not have thought of or couldn't fit in the
      timeframe given. I know I never can!

      Xenia Stanford

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
        Hi Xenia,

        From the very first post under this thread, I clearly indicated that it was directed to one particular person who WAS at the meeting for whom I did not have a name and, therefore, could not just write a private email. I am at a loss as to why you seem to want to rip into about what was or was not included in my talk when you weren't there to hear it. Also, it is impossible to thoroughly cover any particular topic in 10 minutes (which was the speaking time I was allowed. Please, hld me only accountable for what I said, not for what I didn't have time to say.

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
          Hi Joyce,

          I would address this to you only, but I want it to be clear to all that I
          was not ripping into you. I was supporting you in the importance of knowing
          whether the document pertains to you before getting it translated for money.
          I gave a humorous example to support you on that point.

          I also said at the end the very point that you make about the time
          constraints. I said:

          > I don't know if your talk is available in any form that
          > can be posted to the
          > website. If it can be, I would love to read what you
          > covered and then I
          > would be in the know and not seem like I am contradicting
          > what you said, but
          > only adding information you may not have thought of or
          > couldn't fit in the
          > timeframe given. I know I never can!

          Please read the last section of that comment for saying exactly that - i.e.
          you cannot cover everything in the timeframe given - I know I never can! So
          I am right with you on both these points. As for the other point I threw in
          (fs), I only did so because it is one of the questions I am most frequently
          asked in regard to French writing. It was to add a bit of information that
          you may or may not have covered. Not to rip you apart.

          So please do not feel I am ripping you apart - especially in the previous
          message where I supported you on the points you made in your post to me and
          cced to everyone. If this is still not clear enough that I am supporting and
          adding, not contradicting, then I apologize. I also apologize if the first
          email from me on this subject. I did not understand the context, but once I
          did, my next message was to support what you said.

          If these explanations and apologies are still not enough, let's chat via
          email or phone privately.

          Xenia Stanford

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
            Xenia,

            Why don't you open a new thread and just expound on your own opinion of computer translators, etc. without drawing me and my talk personally into it? As I keep saying, this was a thread intended to provide a specific URL to a specific person. You still have no idea what the intent and scope of my talk actually was. To be absolutely clear on that now, I just used a French example to show how computer translators function, what buttons to press, etc., to demonstrate that they will take in whole webpages, extend a Google search to look for an equivalent "foreign language" site, etc. I also gave out some additional URLs to terminology databases, genealogy word lists, number systems in other languages, etc. so that people who do use the web to translate things can do a little better than just accepting what one computer translator tells them.

            From your first post (although you weren't there), you seem to have originally assumed that the talk was too "pro-computer-translator" so you opened up with the suggestion that I was erroneous in suggesting that anyone use them to translate a French vital record with accuracy. I believe you said there was a much better way. Forgive me, but that was "ripping" into me without even taking the time to figure out where I was really coming from.

            My second post reiterated that the post was directly to a specific person, so you came back with the suggestion that I had not made my post clear to everyone who was not at the meeting. (This also seems to me to "rip" into me.) My last post said that the original post clearly did say that it was not my intent to direct this post to everyone, so now you suggest that the reason you wont take this private is that you want it is I who am misunderstanding you and not the other way around, yet you keep tying everything to a talk that you have never heard.

            Will I post it now so that you can use your superior experience in translation issues to criticize it more concretely? Not on your life. At this point, I'm of a mind that this will be the LAST talk I will agree to try to give to this club.

          • J. Metcalfe
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
              Hi everyone on this list,

              Before this thread is, I hope, allowed to just die, there are three apologies I would like to make publicly:

              1) To the unnamed gentlemen to whom my initial post on this thread was addressed and intended - I'm sorry my original post to you initiated this catastrophe and I hope you will still consider investigating the URL I posted relative to your question. It is, in my opinion, a very good website.

              2) To Diane Granger - I'm sorry to forgetting and resorting to using quotation marks. It is a bad habit that I will have to work harder to break.

              3) To Xenia - I'm sorry to using the phrase "rip into." It was harsh and only served to exacerbate the situation.

              Joyce

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
                Hi Joyce and all,

                I wish to apologize to Joyce for my arrogant know it all messages that
                served to discredit her for a talk I did not attend, so for which I have no
                knowledge of what she said or did not say there. I thoughtlessly jumped in
                without properly stating that I was not in attendance and so my remarks were
                off the cuff.

                Although I did not intend to discredit her or devalue her advice, I realize
                that is how it came out and I am truly sorry.

                I too hope the unnamed gentleman and others try the website. Thank you Joyce
                for pointing it out. Another confession, I never visited the website before
                jumping into the discussion publicly. Also I was the one who should have
                taken the discussion off the list after seeing how my message came across to
                Joyce and probably to the rest of you. I should not have subjected those of
                you on this list to any of this discussion. My bad all around.

                I hope Joyce will forgive me and we can once again at least someday go back
                to our previous state of friendliness. I know I don't deserve it, but I hope
                Joyce will be the better woman and forgive me. I also hope it is not the
                last time she gives a talk. Although I did not attend, I know from the last
                Quebec SIG meeting she had valuable experiences and insight to offer me as
                well as the others in attendance.

                I know I will certainly strive to lose my know it all attitude and treat
                others with respect. Sometimes I must admit I just jump in to save the day
                when there is no saving necessary.

                With sincere apologies to Joyce and all of you,

                Xenia Stanford

                Before this thread is, I hope, allowed to just die, there are three
                apologies I would like to make publicly:

                1) To the unnamed gentlemen to whom my initial post on this thread was
                addressed and intended - I'm sorry my original post to you initiated this
                catastrophe and I hope you will still consider investigating the URL I
                posted relative to your question. It is, in my opinion, a very good
                website.

                2) To Diane Granger - I'm sorry to forgetting and resorting to using
                quotation marks. It is a bad habit that I will have to work harder to
                break.

                3) To Xenia - I'm sorry to using the phrase "rip into." It was harsh and
                only served to exacerbate the situation.

                Joyce

                7:01 AM
              • J. Metcalfe
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
                  Hi Xenia,

                  Thank you for your wonderful apology. It is gladly and whole-heartedly accepted. Again, I am sorry for my poor choice of words that also set us off on this regrettable tangent.

                  All the best,
                  Joyce

                  http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
                    Thank you Joyce for accepting my apology.

                    I would leave it there but I noticed that in my last message I did not word
                    one sentence correctly and so it did not give full credit to Joyce's
                    contribution to the last Quebec SIG meeting that I attended. I said
                    "Although I did not attend, I know from the last Quebec SIG meeting she had
                    valuable experiences and insight to offer me as well as the others in
                    attendance." It sounded like I did not attend the last SIG meeting and so
                    did not fully know what value she contributed. What I meant was "Although I
                    did not attend Joyce's talk on Monday night, I know from the last Quebec SIG
                    meeting that I did attend, Joyce had experiences and insight that were
                    valuable to me as well as others who attended that meeting."

                    I certainly do not know it all and have learned most of what I do know from
                    others and am still open to learning from other people who may be newer to
                    this pursuit than me. This old dog can learn new tricks. I have now learned
                    some valuables lessons from Joyce in how to show respect and not discourage
                    her or others from offering what they know at the meetings, on this list or
                    in any other forum.

                    Xenia Stanford

                    Thank you for your wonderful apology. It is gladly and whole-heartedly
                    accepted. Again, I am sorry for my poor choice of words that also set us
                    off on this regrettable tangent.

                    All the best,
                    Joyce

                    > I wish to apologize to Joyce for my arrogant know it all
                    > messages that
                    > served to discredit her for a talk I did not attend, so for
                    > which I have no
                    > knowledge of what she said or did not say there. I
                    > thoughtlessly jumped in
                    > without properly stating that I was not in attendance and
                    > so my remarks were
                    > off the cuff.
                    >
                    > Although I did not intend to discredit her or devalue her
                    > advice, I realize
                    > that is how it came out and I am truly sorry.
                    >
                    > I too hope the unnamed gentleman and others try the
                    > website. Thank you Joyce
                    > for pointing it out. Another confession, I never visited
                    > the website before
                    > jumping into the discussion publicly. Also I was the one
                    > who should have
                    > taken the discussion off the list after seeing how my
                    > message came across to
                    > Joyce and probably to the rest of you. I should not have
                    > subjected those of
                    > you on this list to any of this discussion. My bad all
                    > around.
                    >
                    > I hope Joyce will forgive me and we can once again at least
                    > someday go back
                    > to our previous state of friendliness. I know I don't
                    > deserve it, but I hope
                    > Joyce will be the better woman and forgive me. I also hope
                    > it is not the
                    > last time she gives a talk. Although I did not attend, I
                    > know from the last
                    > Quebec SIG meeting she had valuable experiences and insight
                    > to offer me as
                    > well as the others in attendance.
                    >
                    > I know I will certainly strive to lose my know it all
                    > attitude and treat
                    > others with respect. Sometimes I must admit I just jump in
                    > to save the day
                    > when there is no saving necessary.
                    >
                    > With sincere apologies to Joyce and all of you,
                    >
                    > Xenia Stanford

                    7:01 AM