AFHS meeting Oct 3

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2008
      We are having a panel at our next general meeting on Monday, Oct 3 on
      reading documents - those inscrutable faded ones in obscure handwriting
      and/or another language. The ones containing the answers to all your
      genealogy questions if only you could make out what it says. If you
      have not already met these beasts in your own research, you soon will.

      Diane Granger will provide tips and resources for reading handwriting,
      including handwriting styles from earlier centuries.

      Joyce Metcalfe will explain what is available for interpreting other
      languages via computer - Babblefish and beyond.

      Lois Sparling will show you how to find your way around legal documents
      created between 1200 and 2008.

      We may have a surprise guest to introduce us to Gothic script. (That's
      the alphabet used for the German language until the mid twentieth
      century.)

      Sorry. No one will admit to familiarity with Cyrillic script. We tried.

      The Programmes Committee