Re: 1916 Census

  • Keith Maitland
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21 12:36 PM
      Judith Rempel wrote:

      >Lois or others - is anyone working to get access here in Calgary? If you
      >have an idea how we can help...
      >
      >I've had absolutely NO success in getting any Interlibrary loan materials
      >into Calgary the last 3 times I tried. It seems that all ILL requests
      >simply get permanently filed/destroyed without filling the requests.
      >Follow-up has not helped.
      >
      >My bet is that Ancestry.ca/com has already acquired the films and is having
      >them indexed offshore and will have them on the pay-per-view basis long
      >before any of us gets a chance at them in a more affordable way. Call me a
      >cynic. (and annoyed)
      >

      >Judith Rempel, B.A., M.A., Coordinator
      >queries@... & rempel@...
      >
      >Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
      >www.mennonitehistory.org

      I note a recent news item which stated that the Federal Government had
      cut the budget
      for digitizing records. This will no doubt have an effect on census
      records and other such
      historical data which genealogists rely on. We should determine if this
      is the case and if
      so do some lobbying to express our concerns.

      Keith Maitland
    • Christine Hayes
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21 2:32 PM
        Hello all,

        My understanding is that digitization of the 1916 census of the Prairie Provinces is that digitization and indexing is being done in partnership with The Generations Network which will make the images available on Ancestry and at LAC.  Usually this means that access to the images remains free of charge while the indexes are only available on the pay sites.

        Until a decision is made on the purchasing of the microfilm please feel free to request the reels on interlibrary loan.  Library and Archives Canada is usually pretty good about getting them out to us. (My apologies Judith, for your missing ones)

        If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

        Christine at Calgary Public Library
        christine.hayes@...
      • Christine Hayes
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2009

          Hello – I have not been receiving posts from Distgen but I did notice Spencer’s note about the 1916 census in the DistGen archives.  Yes, it’s true.  We have finally received the 1916 census on microfilm at Calgary Public Library.  We labeled it and put it in the microfilm cabinet today.

          Christine at CPL