Re: 1916 Census

  • Robert Boynton
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
      When I talked with the good people on the 4th Floor Humanities et al, two
      days ago, they acknowledged that they had just discovered the release of the
      1916 Census and that they would be taking the first steps to order copies.

      From my past experience, I think that this will take several months.

      Robert
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
        Judith Rempel wrote:

        >Lois or others - is anyone working to get access here in Calgary? If you
        >have an idea how we can help...
        >
        >I've had absolutely NO success in getting any Interlibrary loan materials
        >into Calgary the last 3 times I tried. It seems that all ILL requests
        >simply get permanently filed/destroyed without filling the requests.
        >Follow-up has not helped.
        >
        >My bet is that Ancestry.ca/com has already acquired the films and is having
        >them indexed offshore and will have them on the pay-per-view basis long
        >before any of us gets a chance at them in a more affordable way. Call me a
        >cynic. (and annoyed)
        >

        >Judith Rempel, B.A., M.A., Coordinator
        >queries@... & rempel@...
        >
        >Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
        >www.mennonitehistory.org

        I note a recent news item which stated that the Federal Government had
        cut the budget
        for digitizing records. This will no doubt have an effect on census
        records and other such
        historical data which genealogists rely on. We should determine if this
        is the case and if
        so do some lobbying to express our concerns.

        Keith Maitland
      • Christine Hayes
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
          Hello all,

          My understanding is that digitization of the 1916 census of the Prairie Provinces is that digitization and indexing is being done in partnership with The Generations Network which will make the images available on Ancestry and at LAC.  Usually this means that access to the images remains free of charge while the indexes are only available on the pay sites.

          Until a decision is made on the purchasing of the microfilm please feel free to request the reels on interlibrary loan.  Library and Archives Canada is usually pretty good about getting them out to us. (My apologies Judith, for your missing ones)

          If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

          Christine at Calgary Public Library
          christine.hayes@...
        • Christine Hayes
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2009

            Hello – I have not been receiving posts from Distgen but I did notice Spencer’s note about the 1916 census in the DistGen archives.  Yes, it’s true.  We have finally received the 1916 census on microfilm at Calgary Public Library.  We labeled it and put it in the microfilm cabinet today.

            Christine at CPL