1916 Census

  • Robert Boynton
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
      From: "REFERENCE (LAC-BAC)" <reference@...>
      To: <rctboynton@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:49 AM
      Subject: RE: Reference Inquiry Form

      Dear Mr. Boynton:

      The 1916 Census of the Western Provinces (Manitoba, Saskatchewan and
      Alberta) is now available at Library and Archives Canada. The
      self-serve microfilm reels (reels T-21925 to T-21956) are in the
      Microfilm Consultation room. Copies are also available for interlibrary
      loan.

      Copies of the microfilm reels shelf-list have been placed in the
      Microfilm Consultation Room and at the reference desk in the Canadian
      Genealogy Centre.

      This census is only available on microfilm. It has not been digitized,
      so it is not available online on our website.

      Regards,

      Mary Bond
      Client Services Division
      Library and Archives Canada

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
        Lois or others - is anyone working to get access here in Calgary? If you
        have an idea how we can help...

        I've had absolutely NO success in getting any Interlibrary loan materials
        into Calgary the last 3 times I tried. It seems that all ILL requests
        simply get permanently filed/destroyed without filling the requests.
        Follow-up has not helped.

        My bet is that Ancestry.ca/com has already acquired the films and is having
        them indexed offshore and will have them on the pay-per-view basis long
        before any of us gets a chance at them in a more affordable way. Call me a
        cynic. (and annoyed)

        Judith Rempel, B.A., M.A., Coordinator
        queries@... & rempel@...

        Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
        www.mennonitehistory.org

        http://www.eset.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
          Hi Robert, Judii and all,

          My understanding is that Calgary Public Library has committed to bringing in
          every Canadian census. They had an agreement with the University of Calgary
          that UoC Library would not bring in census records. Thus I would assume that
          if CPL knows that there is a census available, they will purchase a copy for
          the Humanities dept. I have bcc to my contact at CPL so she can inquire
          about this and let us know if this is still their collections policy and,
          even better yet, let us know when it is in the collection.

          Xenia Stanford (president@...)
          Editor, Chinook
          SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, Métis
          Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564
          Alberta Family Histories Society
          http://www.afhs.ab.ca/

          Question: When can we expect the release of tthe 1916 Western Canada
          Census which should be released this year\?

          http://www.eset.com

          7:11 PM
        • Robert Boynton
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
            When I talked with the good people on the 4th Floor Humanities et al, two
            days ago, they acknowledged that they had just discovered the release of the
            1916 Census and that they would be taking the first steps to order copies.

            From my past experience, I think that this will take several months.

            Robert
            > My understanding is that Calgary Public Library has committed to bringing
            > in
            > every Canadian census. They had an agreement with the University of
            > Calgary
            > that UoC Library would not bring in census records. Thus I would assume
            > that
            > if CPL knows that there is a census available, they will purchase a copy
            > for
            > the Humanities dept. I have bcc to my contact at CPL so she can inquire
            > about this and let us know if this is still their collections policy and,
            > even better yet, let us know when it is in the collection.
            >
            > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
            > Editor, Chinook
            > SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, Métis
            > Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564
            > Alberta Family Histories Society
            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca/

          • Keith Maitland
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
              Judith Rempel wrote:

              >Lois or others - is anyone working to get access here in Calgary? If you
              >have an idea how we can help...
              >
              >I've had absolutely NO success in getting any Interlibrary loan materials
              >into Calgary the last 3 times I tried. It seems that all ILL requests
              >simply get permanently filed/destroyed without filling the requests.
              >Follow-up has not helped.
              >
              >My bet is that Ancestry.ca/com has already acquired the films and is having
              >them indexed offshore and will have them on the pay-per-view basis long
              >before any of us gets a chance at them in a more affordable way. Call me a
              >cynic. (and annoyed)
              >

              >Judith Rempel, B.A., M.A., Coordinator
              >queries@... & rempel@...
              >
              >Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
              >www.mennonitehistory.org

              I note a recent news item which stated that the Federal Government had
              cut the budget
              for digitizing records. This will no doubt have an effect on census
              records and other such
              historical data which genealogists rely on. We should determine if this
              is the case and if
              so do some lobbying to express our concerns.

              Keith Maitland
            • Christine Hayes
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
                Hello all,

                My understanding is that digitization of the 1916 census of the Prairie Provinces is that digitization and indexing is being done in partnership with The Generations Network which will make the images available on Ancestry and at LAC.  Usually this means that access to the images remains free of charge while the indexes are only available on the pay sites.

                Until a decision is made on the purchasing of the microfilm please feel free to request the reels on interlibrary loan.  Library and Archives Canada is usually pretty good about getting them out to us. (My apologies Judith, for your missing ones)

                If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

                Christine at Calgary Public Library
                christine.hayes@...
              • Christine Hayes
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2009

                  Hello – I have not been receiving posts from Distgen but I did notice Spencer’s note about the 1916 census in the DistGen archives.  Yes, it’s true.  We have finally received the 1916 census on microfilm at Calgary Public Library.  We labeled it and put it in the microfilm cabinet today.

                  Christine at CPL