census release campaign

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 9, 2008
      Remember the census release campaign? Remember those petitions we
      signed and then signed again? Remember Beatty et al vs Statistics
      Canada? Remember the surprise release of the 1906 census online by the
      National Archives? Senator Milne has written her account of that long
      campaign to rescue the 1906 and 1911 from the Chief Statistician, Dr.
      Fellegi (and 1916 census should be released this year). Read all about
      the back room politics in her lengthy and detailed story at her web
      site: http://www.sen.parl.gc.ca/lmilne/Default.asp

      Phew, what an effort! Her focus is on what went on in Parliament to
      turn our petitions, emails and Federal Court challenges into
      legislation. She mercifully leaves out the fact that I lost the second
      Federal Court case. Of course, she does not know about our chats with
      Calgary Reform/ Alliance/ Conservative MPs, especially the alternate
      arrangements to get amendments in the House of Commons to the first,
      quite unacceptable government bill for the release of the census returns
      to the public, or the explanation we received from Jason Kenny about the
      Conservative MP who presented unfriendly amendments at one point to ruin
      the second, better government bill.

      There is still the problem of the "opt in" tick box on the 2006 and
      upcoming 2011 census returns, requiring everyone to give allegedly
      informed consent to the public release of their household's census
      return 92 years from hence. And what has happened to the release of the
      1916 census? 1916 + 92 = 2008

      Lois Sparling

      Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.3.5
      http://www.iolo.com