Calgary Daily Herald reprint of 1901Jun19

  • crittercapers
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2008
      Thank you to everyone who replied to my request for a definition of orthocopy.  It appears from replies that the word is a misprint with the actual spelling "orthoepy".  I was finally able to connect with my 91 year old mother-in-law who was a teacher and she spoke of  sessions where students would give memorized passages with emphasize on proper pronunciation as well as giving feeling to the passage.  She confirmed that the word is indeed orthoepy.

      My daughter and I were watching Anne of Green Gables on DVD last week and saw an excellent example of this when the character Anne gave a recital of "The Highwayman".  When I came to Canada in the '60's, memorized prose were an expected part of each year end program, though I don't remember the word orthoepy being used in conjunction with it.  I still feel for my mother who had to listen to all six of us practice our various recitations daily and then sit smiling at the year end program.

      Thank you again.

      Theresa

      Theresa Adair Michiel
      Family Genealogist
           researching surnames: Adair, Michiel, Speyser, Blumenscheidt
      Argue not with Dragons as thou art crunchy and go well with Brie