RE: England Civil Registration

  • Judi Lee
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 6 10:40 AM
      It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to $2.00
      each. The following official statement was printed in the last copy of the
      Memorandum for Family History Centres.

      ***Cost Increase for Photoduplication Requests
      After a recent audit was completed in the Photoduplication Unit of the
      Family History Library, a need was shown to increase the charge for copies
      made for patrons. As part of the audit, a cost comparison was made to other
      research facilities across the US that provide similar services. The $0.25
      request has been in place since at least the early 1980s. The cost will now
      be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where page
      numbers are provided). There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request. The
      charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00. Postage charges
      are included in the price of the copy.

      Judi Lee

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 6 11:13 AM
        Thanks Judi, (I guess - as they say 'Don't shoot the messenger!') <G> I guess they just missed
        putting the notice in with the copies I received. I will have to order more prudently now although
        the price still isn't too bad.

        Carol Lylyk
        Calgary
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 6 5:48 PM
          If I understand this recent increase in fees correctly, does this not help
          us make a case for the Calgary Family History Centre to bring in the Ontario
          Civil Registrations for births, marriages and deaths?

          I would be more willing to pay for the films to come into the Calgary Centre
          and stay here, than to send $32 U.S. to Salt Lake City to have 8
          certificates Xeroxed.

          I realize other alternatives exist. I can drive to the Edmonton (220 miles)
          or Lethbridge (120 miles)Family History Centres several times a year.
          Edmonton has films of the actual certificates for most years. It is only
          the most recent years that are sporadic.

          In addition, I would really like to see the indexes to the registrations up
          on the internet. (I don't want much do I?).

          Thanks for confirming the "nasty rumor", Judi.

          Sincerely,
          Ellen Kinghorn
          Email: ellen@...
          Webpage: www.kinghorn.ca

          > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
          $2.00
          early 1980s. The cost will now
          > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
          page
          > numbers are provided). There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
          The
          > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00. Postage
          charges
          > are included in the price of the copy.
          >
          > Judi Lee

        • Forte
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 6 6:46 PM
            With the increases in copy prices does anyone know where you can get money orders cheap?

            It's not the increase in copies that has me in a flap so much as it is that the minimum charge has gone up to US $4.00 as well.   I guess I won't be sending the cash in an envelope anymore.  ....I know I should have done that in the first place, but I  just hate having to pay the CDN  $5.00 service charge for a money order especially when it's for such a small amount.  Is there a better way?   ...Any ideas...? Thanks.

            Genealogically yours,

            Researching: FORTE, FERRARA, DUDLEY, THOMAS
            Alison's Genealogy Page:  http://members.shaw.ca/alison.forte
            NIVEN Family Connections:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~niven

            > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
            $2.00
            early 1980s.  The cost will now
            > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
            page
            > numbers are provided).  There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
            The
            > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00.  Postage
            charges
            > are included in the price of the copy.
            >
            > Judi Lee

          • Ellen Kinghorn
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 6 6:59 PM
              Alison:  I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and there is no charge...American or International.

              Ellen Kinghorn
              Email: ellen@...

              > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
              $2.00
              early 1980s.  The cost will now
              > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
              page
              > numbers are provided).  There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
              The
              > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00.  Postage
              charges
              > are included in the price of the copy.
              >
              > Judi Lee

            • Judith Rempel
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 6 7:06 PM
                I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
                get this benefit.

                --
                In Kinship,
                Judith Rempel, Webster

                and

                afhs@...

                Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

                FamilyRoots 2002
              • Lois Sparling
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 6 9:00 PM
                  Dear Ellen

                  The free money orders at the Royal Bank depend on what type of service
                  plan you have.

                  Lois Sparling
                • Frank Morrow
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 7 10:27 AM

                    Hi Lucky', I too get mine for free at CIBC - hey, it rhymes. This is one of the few benefits of being a 'senior'.
                  • Richard Trostem
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 7 11:31 AM
                      That's in the process of changing at thr Royal, regardless of what
                      service you have. I believe that effective July 1, if you purchase more
                      than twelve money orders in a calendar year, the charge will be
                      $10.00/order (after the free 12). It's something like that, but your
                      Royal Bank can tell you the specifics, if you ask.

                      Richard

                      Judith Rempel wrote:

                      > I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
                      > get this benefit.
                      >
                      > Alison: I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and
                      > there is no charge...American or International.
                      >
                      > --
                      > In Kinship,
                      > Judith Rempel, Webster
                      > rempel@...
                      > JR Solutions
                      > http://www.jrsolutions.net
                      >
                      > and
                      >
                      > afhs@...
                      > Alberta Family Histories Society
                      > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                      >
                      > Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                      > http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/
                      >
                      > FamilyRoots 2002
                      > http://www.family-roots.ca
                      > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                      > http://www.family-roots.ca
                    • Rene
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 7 10:49 PM
                        Gordon:

                        > From Ancestry.com I have a number of people where I have the Record
                        > Type, District, Year, Quarter, Volume and Page#
                        >
                        > Can I get certificates through the LDS or do I hve to get them through
                        > the PRO. Or would a researcher be better to get me these certificates.

                        Sorry that I did not join in this discussion sooner but I have had problems
                        with my e-mail service.

                        You cannot get English civil registration certificates from the LDS.

                        My advice on obtaining civil registration certificates is undernoted.
                        First, however, I have a couple of comments to make:

                        1. It is true that if a marriage appears in the IGI or the British Vital
                        Records Index you can get a copy of the entry in the church register from
                        SLC providing you correctly identify the source.

                        Some disadvantages to this approach are:

                        (a) Many post-1837 church registers have not been filmed by the LDS.

                        (b) The time lapse for obtaining a photocopy from SLC is two months.
                        This was my personal experience when applying for a copy of a Scottish
                        marriage certificate earlier this year.

                        (c) The new charge (effective January 1, 2003) of $4 US minimum/order
                        has to be taken into account.

                        2. From several contributors to this discussion it is apparent that they
                        are concerned about the cost of a sterling money order from the bank. If
                        this is a concern and you prefer to use a credit card then you have two
                        choices:

                        (a) You can purchase a certificate from the Office of National
                        Statistics (General Register Office), Southport (using a credit card) in
                        one of two ways:

                        Order by telephone on +44 (0)870 243 77 88
                        Fax +44(0)1704 550013

                        See their website:

                        http://www.statistics.gov.uk/nsbase/registration/certe_w/fees.asp

                        for full details. The cost is 8 pounds sterling with full GRO Reference
                        number. Note that if you give an incorrect GRO reference number you will
                        not receive a certificate and an administration fee of four pounds, fifty
                        pence will be charged. Note also that no refund under five pounds will be
                        issued to an overseas applicant. In effect, therefore, you will have paid 8
                        pounds for nothing.

                        (b) You can use a Record Agent to obtain the certificate for you. Many
                        professional researchers advertise their services in the Family Tree
                        Magazine (copies at the FHC and in the AFHS library). For faster service
                        choose one who has an e-mail address. Some dist-gen members (Peter van
                        Schaik among them) can recommend reliable agents.

                        * * *

                        Now for my suggested course of action.

                        Write to the Register Office where the event was registered. DO NOT quote
                        the volume and page number (GRO reference number). Be sure to quote the
                        quarter and year in which you found the entry on the indexes.
                        Theoretically, they will search for an event for five years but it is much
                        better to check the indexes first before placing your order.

                        Check the current address for the Register Office in question at:

                        http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/blangston/genuki/reg/

                        Enclose a sterling cheque or money order for seven pounds. This includes
                        return airmail postage.

                        There should be no difficulty in obtaining a copy of a birth or death
                        certificate from the local Register Office. It has been my experience that
                        local offices give return mail service so you can expect to receive the
                        certificate in about 3 weeks.

                        If the event is a marriage the local Register Office needs to have some
                        idea of the church where the marriage took place. If you do not know the
                        particular church but know the area where the bride lived before marriage
                        that would be helpful. This is because in a large city there could be 30 or
                        more marriage registers and it is too time-consuming for the staff at the
                        Register Office to look through them all to find your marriage. What they
                        will do is to look in the register for the mother church of the area, plus
                        the Register Office's own register. Their register will contain all
                        non-conformist marriages where a Registrar was required to be present up to
                        at least 1898, plus all marriages that took place in the Register Office
                        itself.

                        If for any reason the local Register Office cannot provide a copy of the
                        event requested they will return your money in full and refer you to the
                        General Register Office at Southport (this office deals with all postal
                        enquiries).

                        If it is necessary to write to Southport you need to quote the full GRO
                        reference.

                        The cost is eight pounds sterling if you supply the full GRO reference
                        number. Without the reference number the cost is 11 pounds. The mailing
                        address is:

                        General Register Office
                        PO Box 2
                        Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD
                        UK

                        Service from Southport is generally slower than from a local Register
                        Office.

                        I hope this helps.

                        Rene