Chinook Update

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9 11:31 PM

      There seems to be a misconception that Chinook is in dire need of material and I have received some worried email messages. The truth is I have material enough for another 3-4 issues and have dozens of sources for more when those run out. The truth is also that just because there are so many articles available, I am always on the search for material to fit certain themes, topics that readers tell me they would like to see and items for the little spaces in between.

      Things readers have told me they would like to see:

      How-to articles – Beginner and Advanced (I think I have a volunteer for the Beginner How-to column and I think the advanced how-to is probably best to be done on an ad hoc basis – e.g. for the July issue I put out a call for how-to find female ancestors) – Rather than just a list of tips, it is good to have examples and a story to go along with it.

      SIG articles – what the SIG has been doing, but more importantly search tips and sources for the region or topic of the SIG.

      Board information – I was asked for more and then I was told to cut back on Board information, so it is a fine balance!

      Examples of proper research methodology vs entertaining stories

      Entertaining stories vs proper methodology

      Latest genealogy news – websites, books, methods

      Sharing names/places to find connections

      Q&A

      Photos of Board members, so we know who they are when we see them at meetings

      I like photos or clipart to break up the text and a great one for the cover (has to be wider than tall)  so even if you have some great photos and no story to go with it – send the photo with caption and photo credits.

      I try to strike a balance of the above items so hopefully there is something for every reader in each issue. Your feedback has been overwhelmingly supportive. It is nice to know Chinook is so appreciated by the members and you are happy with my work. It really doesn’t seem like work, which is dangerous because I can spend too much time without realizing it.

      Although the website has deadlines as the day before the actual deadline for each issue, count back two months from the month on the issue – e.g. July is the next issue and May is two months before. So May 1st is the date I must have submissions to be considered for the July issue.

      Xenia Stanford (president@...)

      Editor, Chinook

      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, Métis

      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564