British newspapers online

  • Spencer Field
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2008
      There is free access to British newspapers online for a limited time.
      It works very much like the Times of London site.
      There is no sign-up requirement or anything like that.
      These are newspapers starting about 1800.

       http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/palci07?id=trial&db=BNCN
      Spencer Field
    • Spencer Field
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 29, 2008
        There is a new free trial of British Newspapers online and also US and I don't know what else. The following from Oxon mailing list.administrator.

        JISC (the Joint Information Systems Committee) and the British Library, in
        partnership with Gale/Cengage Learning, recently launched their 19th
        century British Library Newspapers website. This project has involved
        digitising many 19th century newspapers, including Jackson's Oxford Journal.

        They are available through academic institiutions, but not, currently, to
        the general public.

        A Senior member of Cengage Learning has now confirmed to me that the trial
        URL http://access.gale.com/gdctrial/ (circulated on various lists in the
        last week or so), though apparently aimed at institutional trials, may also
        be used by the general public to view data - the trial is, though, time
        limited.

        Wendy
        OXF List Admin