Successful Ukrainian SIG Event

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2008

      Thank you so much to David Makowsky and Radomir Bilash of Edmonton for speaking to the Ukrainian SIG about the Alberta-Ukraine Genealogical Project and Centenary Pioneer Recognition Program and bringing their displays in spite of Calgary’s deep freeze! The photo slide show was very interesting to me – to see what Ukrainian villages and topography was like then and now, as well as what the Ukrainian pioneers faced in this new land. One of the houses build by such pioneers looked like my family’s root cellar! It was hard to believe it held an entire family or families. Through David and Radomir we learned many things about Ukrainian representation in the Canadian census including one door = one household no matter how many people or families lived there.

      Lydia Migus, the Provincial Coordinator of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress, Alberta Provincial Council, sat in on the second half of the presentation. It was good to meet her.

      There were 15 SIG members in attendance and I have heard from a couple of them that they are already preparing their applications and will be sending them in shortly. Thank you all for coming out on the chilly day. We Ukrainians are a hardy bunch, taking after our forefathers and foremothers who settled this sometimes uninviting country. Only two people who had said they would be there did not show,

      Thank you to Rosemary Kry and Mertie Beatty who as well as me brought munchies and Linda Murray who supplied the tea. It was very nice to have it at the AFHS Library because some had not been there before and some found the small Ukrainian section of value. I think we need to donate money and/or books to expand the collection.

      I hope our next SIG meeting will bring out equal numbers and will fall on a much warmer day. So far no further scheduled event has been set. I am hoping when the Family History Centre on 17th Avenue reopens we can meet for a tour of their resources, which includes a huge atlas donated by Walter Rusel, President of the Ukrainian Genealogical and Historical Society (UGHS), who along with UGHS is now in Blaine Lake, SK. See the site at http://ukrainiangenealogist.tripod.com/ where you can see some recent photos of Ukraine and Save $4.95 on Ukrainian Genealogy: A Beginner's Guide by John D. Pihach

      Again thanks to all for their part in this successful event.

      Xenia Stanford (president@...)

      Editor, Chinook

      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, French, Métis

      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564