Border crossings data

  • H D Jaremko
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008
      Hello all,

      Could anyone please tell me how a person can get information from border crossing films? There was a phone call on the AFHS answering machine from a lady by the name of Linda McKim from Ontario, who says that she has a couple of relatives who went through the border crossing from Emerson.  The film number if T5480 with the dates Dec. 1914-Mar. 1918 on it.  She wants to know how she can get the information from this film either herself or paying someone to do the search for her.  She did not list the people she is looking for.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you,
      Heather Jaremko
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008

        Hi Heather,

        Ancestry.ca has the index and films available on their site with membership. Since it is considered Canadian records, one does not have to pay any additional fees with a membership to Ancestry.ca but most libraries and Family History Centres in Canada have free access to Ancestry.com which includes Canadian records as well.

        All you do is go to Historical Records - then, go to Immigration and Emigration, then search for the names. Sometimes it is under Immigration and Emigration, other times under Border Crossings. When you find the one you think is the correct name (remember all the variations it could have been under) and go to View Record. You can just search for the names on the first search screen and then look for the hits under Immigration and Emigration, etc. I find it easier to go directly to the Immigration and Emigration screen or directly to Border Crossings (you might miss some relevant ones though under Immigration and Emigration). Sometimes it appears on a ship’s manifest among other names and sometimes it is a card index (depends on the year – so look at all possibilities you find). If it is a card index, you are lucky because it lists more on the one or two two-sided cards than one record from a ship’s manifest.

        Re name variations, my grandmother for whom I was named is listed under Jennie or Senia or Ksenia. My grandfather is sometimes Max or Jax or Jack or Maxim (he was Maxim and also went by Max, but the others I would not have thought of except when I saw them, I could see how someone could have heard Jax or Jack when the person speaking had a foreign accent. The Jennie mystified me! Also my granduncle’s first name was Timofee, but it was spelled a half dozen ways so he changed it to Thomas or Tom (I have often wondered why not Tim or Timothy). Also prior to the war they gave their ethnicity as Ruthenian, Rus, Russian, Ukrainian, Galician or Austrian. During and after the WWI they declared their ethnicity as Polish. This perhaps is how they evaded the prisoners’ camps or other war measures acts tactics. My other grandfather who gave his ethnicity as Austrian had his gun locked in jail and he had to report monthly to the RCMP so they knew the family’s whereabouts and activities. So be open also in terms of ethnicity if she is searching for an East European.

        These lists and microfilm online have really added to my research. You used to have to do it the way Claire gives at http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/talks/notes_mar99.html (films at CPL main branch), but now you can do it all online and then print out the filmed record. The quality is actually better than the copies I printed off at the library way back when and you can view the record at different magnifications, bring it into a photo editing software and crop to just your ancestors’ listings. However also keep the full page because they often travelled in family groups and/or with people from the same village. I am lucky because my grandparents and their siblings/siblings’ families traipsed back and forth across the border to work at the Ford factory in Detroit to support their farm in Saskatchewan and later Alberta. Some of the records give their place of birth, date of first arrival in Canada or US, contact names of relatives on either side of the border, etc.

        Hope this helps Linda and any others who have ancestors who crossed the borders between 1895-1956.

        Xenia

        Could anyone please tell me how a person can get information from border crossing films? There was a phone call on the AFHS answering machine from a lady by the name of Linda McKim from Ontario, who says that she has a couple of relatives who went through the border crossing from Emerson.  The film number if T5480 with the dates Dec. 1914-Mar. 1918 on it.  She wants to know how she can get the information from this film either herself or paying someone to do the search for her.  She did not list the people she is looking for.

        Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        Thank you,

        Heather Jaremko

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008

          Oops – I replied before I saw this note.