Ask the Expert Column needs Experts!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2008

      In the January issue of Chinook, we started a new column “Ask the Expert” with the following questions:

      Q1: How do you find a Church of England

      wedding in Hamilton in the late 1830's?

      Q2: Is there a printer locally who can print a full

      page 11”x14” census record so that it is legible

      and do wall charts of family trees?

      Q3: The 1901 census says my ancestor arrived

      from Ireland in 1842. I have exhausted the

      indexed passenger lists for the year and the one

      before and one after. Where do I go from here?

      Now we need answers from experts in these areas. We can include your name with the response or keep it anonymous, whichever you prefer.

      Also if you have a burning question, please send it along and maybe next time an expert will have the answer.

      I also have been told that at each monthly meeting there is a table (manned by experienced family history researchers) with a sign saying “Ask Us, We Might Know”.

       If  you prefer to try that route first, by all means do so.  Then if you have stumped them, forward your question to us. We also realize we have readers who do not attend these meetings, so send your brickwall questions to us.

      There is also another form of submitting a question to AFHS  experts. That is by calling the AFHS phone number or mailing it to the AFHS address and giving your “query” with your phone number. Find the contact information for AFHS at http://www.afhs.ab.ca/

      Because of the same name being used for AFHS queries and Chinook queries, we have renamed the column where readers can submit their surname questions. We now will call it Surname Connections.

      The following were the Surname Connections in the January issue:

      STRAIN & LITTLE from Northern Ireland

      I am searching for information about the families of my Irish ancestors. Joseph STRAIN born June 1808 in Newbliss, Monaghan Co., Northern Ireland married Elizabeth LITTLE who was also born in Monaghan County in April 1809. They were married in April 1831 in Northern Ireland.

      They immigrated to Canada in 1849 and settled in Grey County, Ontario. They farmed in Artemesia Township, Grey County until Joseph died in 1897. They had nine children. Seven were born in Northern Ireland and the other two in Grey Co., Ontario.

      Contact: Bill Campbell

      STAINTON from Westmoreland or Westmorland, England to Ontario, Canada

      I am looking for descendants of Richard (Abt. 1788 – 1871) and Ellen STAINTON nee THOMLINSON (children: Elenor, Richard, Ann, James, William, Isabella, Thomas and John), and Thomas (1786-1856) and Eleanor STAINTON nee ADDISON (children: Elizabeth, Agnes, James, John, William, Ellen and Thomas).

      They came to York County about 1842. Some remained in York County. Others moved to Durham County, Victoria County, Middlesex County and Oxford County. Associated names include MASON, JACKSON, MURRELL, HOGARTH and BATEMAN. I am especially interested in information regarding William STAINTON (b. 1824) and Mary HEE (b. 1826) who were in London Township, Middlesex County in the 1871 Census with children James, Mary and Alfred.

      Contact: Marion Peterson ###

      If you can help out with either of these requests, see the January Chinook for the contact information or email me.

      Send me your Surname Connections for the April issue by February 1.

      Xenia Stanford (president@...)

      Editor, Chinook

      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, French, Métis

      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564