RE: Research: Investigating your family tree - First steps in researching family history

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2008

      And, all with English ancestry should look at this very short entry at Dick Eastman’s online newsletter which links to a massive set of useful links:

      http://blog.eogn.com/ - scroll to January 8, 2008 and click on “Continue Reading “Expert  Links”, then “Price & Associates”.

      And, because I can’t help but encourage all to look for Mennonites among their ancestors, I’ve got two good little tools for Mennonites:

      ·         Mennonite Genealogical Data Index - www.mennonites.ca

      ·         MHSA Finding Aids - http://www.mennonitehistory.org/aids/index.html

      Unsure if you have any “Mennos” in your background?  Consult the surname list at: http://calmenno.org/grandma/manual3.pdf (pp. 9-21).  It’s pretty darn near comprehensive and provides alternative spellings.

      Note:  Mennonite Surname codes were developed for Mennonite genealogy projects because Soundex didn’t adequately consider non-English pronunciations or linguistic roots of names.  These are much more commonly used in Mennonite genealogy work than Soundex.

      Judith Rempel, B.A., M.A., Coordinator

      queries@... & rempel@...

      Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta

      www.mennonitehistory.org