Fw: Research: Investigating your family tree - First steps in researching family history

  • Alan Cassley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2008
      Received this link just before Christmas from my namesake in England. Thought it worthwhile to pass on.
      Alan Cassley.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2008

        And, all with English ancestry should look at this very short entry at Dick Eastman’s online newsletter which links to a massive set of useful links:

        http://blog.eogn.com/ - scroll to January 8, 2008 and click on “Continue Reading “Expert  Links”, then “Price & Associates”.

        And, because I can’t help but encourage all to look for Mennonites among their ancestors, I’ve got two good little tools for Mennonites:

        ·         Mennonite Genealogical Data Index - www.mennonites.ca

        ·         MHSA Finding Aids - http://www.mennonitehistory.org/aids/index.html

        Unsure if you have any “Mennos” in your background?  Consult the surname list at: http://calmenno.org/grandma/manual3.pdf (pp. 9-21).  It’s pretty darn near comprehensive and provides alternative spellings.

        Note:  Mennonite Surname codes were developed for Mennonite genealogy projects because Soundex didn’t adequately consider non-English pronunciations or linguistic roots of names.  These are much more commonly used in Mennonite genealogy work than Soundex.

        Judith Rempel, B.A., M.A., Coordinator

        queries@... & rempel@...

        Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta

        www.mennonitehistory.org