Re: England Civil Registration

  • Lillian D. Myers
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
      From: "Peter van Schaik" <peter.van.schaik@...>
      To: "Ken Oram" <oramk@...>
      Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 10:16 PM
      Subject: Re: England Civil Registration

      > At 10:14 PM 8/5/02 -0500, you wrote:
      > >Hi peter,
      > >
      > >Some marriages can be had for the cost of $2.00 each US from the LDS.
      Check
      > >to see if the marriage is on the IGI and then ask at the FHC how to
      > >x-reference the film to obtain the info to send to Salt Lake
      > >Ken
      >
      > Ken , you are right that some of the certificates appear on parish films.
      > You would in principle be able to use the the volunteer photo copying
      > service from Salt Lake.
      > The cost would be indeed a lot lower. In matter of fact , Salt Lake will
      > make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.
      >
      > The problem lies with finding the event in the first place and then
      finding
      > the proper reference to it and on what film. The volunteers in Salt Lake
      > in general will not make a search for an event that you have no proper
      page
      > or certificate number for.
      > In short , I have giving up on obtaining certificates this way because of
      > the time involved and the waiting time involved without knowing if you
      will
      > even get the documents you are asking for.
      >

      > Groetjes from.......................Peter!!!!!!
      >
      > Docs4u Research.
      > Genealogical research service for North Americans from the Netherlands,
      > Belgium , Indonesia and the British Isles. Very reasonable
      rates.
      > Mailto:docs4u@...
      >
      > Peter Jm van Schaik
      > 237 Mount Blakiston Road West , Lethbridge
      > Alberta ,Canada
      > postal code ; T1K 6M8
      > Phone number 403 - 394 - 0063
      >
      > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      > http://www.family-roots.ca

    • Judi Lee
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
        It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to $2.00
        each. The following official statement was printed in the last copy of the
        Memorandum for Family History Centres.

        ***Cost Increase for Photoduplication Requests
        After a recent audit was completed in the Photoduplication Unit of the
        Family History Library, a need was shown to increase the charge for copies
        made for patrons. As part of the audit, a cost comparison was made to other
        research facilities across the US that provide similar services. The $0.25
        request has been in place since at least the early 1980s. The cost will now
        be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where page
        numbers are provided). There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request. The
        charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00. Postage charges
        are included in the price of the copy.

        Judi Lee

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
          Thanks Judi, (I guess - as they say 'Don't shoot the messenger!') <G> I guess they just missed
          putting the notice in with the copies I received. I will have to order more prudently now although
          the price still isn't too bad.

          Carol Lylyk
          Calgary
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
            If I understand this recent increase in fees correctly, does this not help
            us make a case for the Calgary Family History Centre to bring in the Ontario
            Civil Registrations for births, marriages and deaths?

            I would be more willing to pay for the films to come into the Calgary Centre
            and stay here, than to send $32 U.S. to Salt Lake City to have 8
            certificates Xeroxed.

            I realize other alternatives exist. I can drive to the Edmonton (220 miles)
            or Lethbridge (120 miles)Family History Centres several times a year.
            Edmonton has films of the actual certificates for most years. It is only
            the most recent years that are sporadic.

            In addition, I would really like to see the indexes to the registrations up
            on the internet. (I don't want much do I?).

            Thanks for confirming the "nasty rumor", Judi.

            Sincerely,
            Ellen Kinghorn
            Email: ellen@...
            Webpage: www.kinghorn.ca

            > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
            $2.00
            early 1980s. The cost will now
            > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
            page
            > numbers are provided). There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
            The
            > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00. Postage
            charges
            > are included in the price of the copy.
            >
            > Judi Lee

          • Forte
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
              With the increases in copy prices does anyone know where you can get money orders cheap?

              It's not the increase in copies that has me in a flap so much as it is that the minimum charge has gone up to US $4.00 as well.   I guess I won't be sending the cash in an envelope anymore.  ....I know I should have done that in the first place, but I  just hate having to pay the CDN  $5.00 service charge for a money order especially when it's for such a small amount.  Is there a better way?   ...Any ideas...? Thanks.

              Genealogically yours,

              Researching: FORTE, FERRARA, DUDLEY, THOMAS
              Alison's Genealogy Page:  http://members.shaw.ca/alison.forte
              NIVEN Family Connections:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~niven

              > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
              $2.00
              early 1980s.  The cost will now
              > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
              page
              > numbers are provided).  There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
              The
              > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00.  Postage
              charges
              > are included in the price of the copy.
              >
              > Judi Lee

            • Ellen Kinghorn
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                Alison:  I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and there is no charge...American or International.

                Ellen Kinghorn
                Email: ellen@...

                > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
                $2.00
                early 1980s.  The cost will now
                > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
                page
                > numbers are provided).  There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
                The
                > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00.  Postage
                charges
                > are included in the price of the copy.
                >
                > Judi Lee

              • Judith Rempel
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                  I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
                  get this benefit.

                  --
                  In Kinship,
                  Judith Rempel, Webster

                  and

                  afhs@...

                  Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                  http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

                  FamilyRoots 2002
                • Lois Sparling
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                    Dear Ellen

                    The free money orders at the Royal Bank depend on what type of service
                    plan you have.

                    Lois Sparling
                  • Frank Morrow
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002

                      Hi Lucky', I too get mine for free at CIBC - hey, it rhymes. This is one of the few benefits of being a 'senior'.
                    • Richard Trostem
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002
                        That's in the process of changing at thr Royal, regardless of what
                        service you have. I believe that effective July 1, if you purchase more
                        than twelve money orders in a calendar year, the charge will be
                        $10.00/order (after the free 12). It's something like that, but your
                        Royal Bank can tell you the specifics, if you ask.

                        Richard

                        Judith Rempel wrote:

                        > I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
                        > get this benefit.
                        >
                        > Alison: I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and
                        > there is no charge...American or International.
                        >
                        > --
                        > In Kinship,
                        > Judith Rempel, Webster
                        > rempel@...
                        > JR Solutions
                        > http://www.jrsolutions.net
                        >
                        > and
                        >
                        > afhs@...
                        > Alberta Family Histories Society
                        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                        >
                        > Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/
                        >
                        > FamilyRoots 2002
                        > http://www.family-roots.ca
                        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                        > http://www.family-roots.ca
                      • Rene
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002
                          Gordon:

                          > From Ancestry.com I have a number of people where I have the Record
                          > Type, District, Year, Quarter, Volume and Page#
                          >
                          > Can I get certificates through the LDS or do I hve to get them through
                          > the PRO. Or would a researcher be better to get me these certificates.

                          Sorry that I did not join in this discussion sooner but I have had problems
                          with my e-mail service.

                          You cannot get English civil registration certificates from the LDS.

                          My advice on obtaining civil registration certificates is undernoted.
                          First, however, I have a couple of comments to make:

                          1. It is true that if a marriage appears in the IGI or the British Vital
                          Records Index you can get a copy of the entry in the church register from
                          SLC providing you correctly identify the source.

                          Some disadvantages to this approach are:

                          (a) Many post-1837 church registers have not been filmed by the LDS.

                          (b) The time lapse for obtaining a photocopy from SLC is two months.
                          This was my personal experience when applying for a copy of a Scottish
                          marriage certificate earlier this year.

                          (c) The new charge (effective January 1, 2003) of $4 US minimum/order
                          has to be taken into account.

                          2. From several contributors to this discussion it is apparent that they
                          are concerned about the cost of a sterling money order from the bank. If
                          this is a concern and you prefer to use a credit card then you have two
                          choices:

                          (a) You can purchase a certificate from the Office of National
                          Statistics (General Register Office), Southport (using a credit card) in
                          one of two ways:

                          Order by telephone on +44 (0)870 243 77 88
                          Fax +44(0)1704 550013

                          See their website:

                          http://www.statistics.gov.uk/nsbase/registration/certe_w/fees.asp

                          for full details. The cost is 8 pounds sterling with full GRO Reference
                          number. Note that if you give an incorrect GRO reference number you will
                          not receive a certificate and an administration fee of four pounds, fifty
                          pence will be charged. Note also that no refund under five pounds will be
                          issued to an overseas applicant. In effect, therefore, you will have paid 8
                          pounds for nothing.

                          (b) You can use a Record Agent to obtain the certificate for you. Many
                          professional researchers advertise their services in the Family Tree
                          Magazine (copies at the FHC and in the AFHS library). For faster service
                          choose one who has an e-mail address. Some dist-gen members (Peter van
                          Schaik among them) can recommend reliable agents.

                          * * *

                          Now for my suggested course of action.

                          Write to the Register Office where the event was registered. DO NOT quote
                          the volume and page number (GRO reference number). Be sure to quote the
                          quarter and year in which you found the entry on the indexes.
                          Theoretically, they will search for an event for five years but it is much
                          better to check the indexes first before placing your order.

                          Check the current address for the Register Office in question at:

                          http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/blangston/genuki/reg/

                          Enclose a sterling cheque or money order for seven pounds. This includes
                          return airmail postage.

                          There should be no difficulty in obtaining a copy of a birth or death
                          certificate from the local Register Office. It has been my experience that
                          local offices give return mail service so you can expect to receive the
                          certificate in about 3 weeks.

                          If the event is a marriage the local Register Office needs to have some
                          idea of the church where the marriage took place. If you do not know the
                          particular church but know the area where the bride lived before marriage
                          that would be helpful. This is because in a large city there could be 30 or
                          more marriage registers and it is too time-consuming for the staff at the
                          Register Office to look through them all to find your marriage. What they
                          will do is to look in the register for the mother church of the area, plus
                          the Register Office's own register. Their register will contain all
                          non-conformist marriages where a Registrar was required to be present up to
                          at least 1898, plus all marriages that took place in the Register Office
                          itself.

                          If for any reason the local Register Office cannot provide a copy of the
                          event requested they will return your money in full and refer you to the
                          General Register Office at Southport (this office deals with all postal
                          enquiries).

                          If it is necessary to write to Southport you need to quote the full GRO
                          reference.

                          The cost is eight pounds sterling if you supply the full GRO reference
                          number. Without the reference number the cost is 11 pounds. The mailing
                          address is:

                          General Register Office
                          PO Box 2
                          Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD
                          UK

                          Service from Southport is generally slower than from a local Register
                          Office.

                          I hope this helps.

                          Rene