Re: Spanish Telephone Directory

  • Robert Boynton
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
      Here is one of many Spnish directories.

      The interesting thing is that in Spain and other Spanish speaking countries,
      there is the tradition of including the mothers maiden name in directories,
      so if the name is uncommon and you search the right way, you can retrieve
      these names from this directory and not only connect with the fathers
      surname but the mothers as well.

      http://www.infobel.com/en/world/Teldir.aspx?url=http://www.infobel.com/Spain

      Rob
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
        Here is another website wherease you have the invitation to search by both
        last names at once

        http://www.infobel.com/en/world/Teldir.aspx?url=http://www.paginasblancas.es/

        Rob
        >> THis query from a member of the audience at the talk I gave at the Public
        >> Library last Saturday:
        >> "Where or how can I view a Spanish Telephone Directory to look for modern
        >> variants in surnames I am researching?"
        >>
        >> I suggested Public Library and Googling, but the person had already tried
        >> these.
        >>
        >> Can anybody help?
        >
        > RootsWeb have a number of mailing lists for Spain. Your queryer(sp?)
        > should
        > subscribe to one of them and send the question to the list. English is
        > used on:
        >
        > http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/ESP/SPAIN.html
        >
        > Regards
        > Charlie

      • Christine Hayes
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
          Hi Alan,

          Infobel has telephone directories for Spain

          http://www.infobel.com/es/spain

          I'm not sure if this will do what the person wants, it really only looks
          up what you ask it to, no variants. A good surname dictionary might be
          what he/she needs instead. Something like the "Dictionary of Surnames"
          by Patrick Hanks and Flavia Hodges gives origins and variants of
          surnames, including variations by country. We have it here at CPL and
          use it a lot for that kind of question.

          Cheers,

          Christine Hayes
          Genealogy and Local History