Spanish Telephone Directory

  • Alan Cassley
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
      THis query from a member of the audience at the talk I gave at the Public
      Library last Saturday:
      "Where or how can I view a Spanish Telephone Directory to look for modern
      variants in surnames I am researching?"

      I suggested Public Library and Googling, but the person had already tried
      these.

      Can anybody help?

      Thanks
      Alan Cassley
    • Charlie Hansen
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
        On 14 Nov 2007 Alan wrote:

        > THis query from a member of the audience at the talk I gave at the Public
        > Library last Saturday:
        > "Where or how can I view a Spanish Telephone Directory to look for modern
        > variants in surnames I am researching?"
        >
        > I suggested Public Library and Googling, but the person had already tried
        > these.
        >
        > Can anybody help?

        RootsWeb have a number of mailing lists for Spain. Your queryer(sp?) should
        subscribe to one of them and send the question to the list. English is used on:

        http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/ESP/SPAIN.html

        Regards
        Charlie
      • Robert Boynton
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
          Here is one of many Spnish directories.

          The interesting thing is that in Spain and other Spanish speaking countries,
          there is the tradition of including the mothers maiden name in directories,
          so if the name is uncommon and you search the right way, you can retrieve
          these names from this directory and not only connect with the fathers
          surname but the mothers as well.

          http://www.infobel.com/en/world/Teldir.aspx?url=http://www.infobel.com/Spain

          Rob
          >> THis query from a member of the audience at the talk I gave at the Public
          >> Library last Saturday:
          >> "Where or how can I view a Spanish Telephone Directory to look for modern
          >> variants in surnames I am researching?"
          >>
          >> I suggested Public Library and Googling, but the person had already tried
          >> these.
          >>
          >> Can anybody help?
          >
          > RootsWeb have a number of mailing lists for Spain. Your queryer(sp?)
          > should
          > subscribe to one of them and send the question to the list. English is
          > used on:
          >
          > http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/ESP/SPAIN.html
          >
          > Regards
          > Charlie

        • Robert Boynton
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
            Here is another website wherease you have the invitation to search by both
            last names at once

            http://www.infobel.com/en/world/Teldir.aspx?url=http://www.paginasblancas.es/

            Rob
            >> THis query from a member of the audience at the talk I gave at the Public
            >> Library last Saturday:
            >> "Where or how can I view a Spanish Telephone Directory to look for modern
            >> variants in surnames I am researching?"
            >>
            >> I suggested Public Library and Googling, but the person had already tried
            >> these.
            >>
            >> Can anybody help?
            >
            > RootsWeb have a number of mailing lists for Spain. Your queryer(sp?)
            > should
            > subscribe to one of them and send the question to the list. English is
            > used on:
            >
            > http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/ESP/SPAIN.html
            >
            > Regards
            > Charlie

          • Christine Hayes
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
              Hi Alan,

              Infobel has telephone directories for Spain

              http://www.infobel.com/es/spain

              I'm not sure if this will do what the person wants, it really only looks
              up what you ask it to, no variants. A good surname dictionary might be
              what he/she needs instead. Something like the "Dictionary of Surnames"
              by Patrick Hanks and Flavia Hodges gives origins and variants of
              surnames, including variations by country. We have it here at CPL and
              use it a lot for that kind of question.

              Cheers,

              Christine Hayes
              Genealogy and Local History