Re: Genealogy Charting

  • Charles W Aubin
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2007
      Hi Mary et al:
      Sorry Legacy does not have a built in charting program until next month
      when version 7.0 comes out, and then it is in the deluxe version and not
      the freebee.
      Charlie

      Mary Arthur wrote:
      > I would think that all of the programs would do an adequate job, they
      > could attend a sig meeting or check out the demos.
      >
      > If there is only one chart wanted, I would recommend Legacy - its
      > free. http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ (assuming they are using a
      > windows machine).
      >

      > On 21-Sep-07, at 20:08 , Mabel Kiessling wrote:
      >
      >> Hello Everyone:
      >>
      >> Thank you to those folks that offer suggestions whenever I have a
      >> query for which I need help. Once again, I need some suggestions. A
      >> query is asking what we could recommend for a computer-based genealogy
      >> charting system that is both comprehensive and relatively easy to
      >> use. The query has never used any software before.
      >>
      >> Mabel Kiessling
      >> Queries Volunteer
      >> Alberta Family Histories Society

    • J. Metcalfe
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 23, 2007
        Hi Mary,

        I've used a few different programs over the years and still tend to go back to Family Treemaker to produce quick, easy, and attractive charts (but I am using Version 11, so this aspect of the program may have changed substantially since then).  However, it has been my general impression that it has been a "leader" in the field of charting pretty much since it was first introduced.

        I found that Generations (a program that I believe is no longer available) could do a credible job and was very flexible (that is, one could readily personalize the charting format), but it was much more "fiddly" to get an attractive result.

        As an overall program, I predominantly use Legacy now.  As has been already posted, it does not currently have an imbedded charting program.  I can hardly wait until the next version (with a charting program on board) comes out.

        All the best,
        Joyce

        Mary Arthur <maryarthur@...> wrote:
        I would think that all of the programs would do an adequate job, they could attend a sig meeting or check out the demos.

        If there is only one chart wanted, I would recommend Legacy - its free. http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ (assuming they are using a windows machine).

        On 21-Sep-07, at 20:08 , Mabel Kiessling wrote:

        Hello Everyone:

        Thank you to those folks that offer suggestions whenever I have a query for which I need help.   Once again, I need some suggestions.  A query is asking what we could recommend for a computer-based genealogy charting system that is both comprehensive and relatively easy to use.  The query has never used any software before.

        Mabel Kiessling
        Queries Volunteer

      • Beverley A. Rees
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 23, 2007

          Aloha!  Hi there to all from the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  Being on the Legacy Family Tree Cruise has been fantastic thus far.  AND . . . . . .our class yesterday was a Sneak Preview of Legacy 7.0  The new Charting Program that will be a part of Legacy 7.0 is fantastic.  Version 7.0 has added an integrated Charting Program and this new release should be available before Christmas.  We are looking at our email every few days so if anyone wants to get in touch with us we will be here until October 3rd.

          Bev and Ken Rees

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 23, 2007
            Hi All:

            I am finding this stream of messages very interesting.

            As far as I can see no one yet has mentioned the wonderful resource that our AFHS website provides at
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/software.html

            Part of that page provides the best summary of all - Bill Mumford's
            GENEALOGICAL SOFTWARE REPORT CARD

            Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees!!

            Cheers

            BILL

            Mary Arthur wrote:
            I would think that all of the programs would do an adequate job, they could attend a sig meeting or check out the demos.

            If there is only one chart wanted, I would recommend Legacy - its free. http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ (assuming they are using a windows machine).

            On 21-Sep-07, at 20:08 , Mabel Kiessling wrote:

            Hello Everyone:

            Thank you to those folks that offer suggestions whenever I have a query for which I need help.   Once again, I need some suggestions.  A query is asking what we could recommend for a computer-based genealogy charting system that is both comprehensive and relatively easy to use.  The query has never used any software before.

            Mabel Kiessling
            Queries Volunteer
            Alberta Family Histories Society

            No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.488 / Virus Database: 269.13.28/1023 - Release Date: 9/22/2007 1:27 PM

            --
            WILLIAM CAMPBELL
            CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA