Ontario SIG

  • Ronna L. Byam
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 22, 2007

      The Ontario SIG will be holding its first meeting of the season on Monday 24 September at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16 Avenue NW.  We will be sharing our summer genealogy adventures with each other, and will also be discussing Grosse Ile, the quarantine station for incoming immigrants.  Everyone is welcome.  Bring your friends!
    • Ronna L. Byam
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 26, 2008

        Hi Everyone,

        This is a reminder that the next meeting of the Ontario SIG will be held Monday 28 January 2008 at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 – 16 Avenue SW.  We will be having an in-depth look at the Ontario databases available through ancestry.ca.

        Everyone is welcome.

        Ronna Byam

        Chair, Ontario SIG

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

      • Ronna L. Byam
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 12, 2008

          Hi Everyone,

          I am sending out the reminder early as my computer will be shut down for awhile while I am moving.

          The regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG will be held on Monday 25 February 2008 (weather permitting!) at the AFHS Library at 712 – 16 Avenue NW.  As we had to cancel January’s meeting due to the severe weather, we will be moving the presentation originally scheduled for January to the February meeting.  This will be an in-depth look at the Ontario databases found at ancestry.ca

          Everyone welcome.

          Ronna Byam

          Chair, Ontario SIG

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        • Ronna L. Byam
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 27, 2008

            Hi Everyone,

            The regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG is being held tomorrow April 28th at the AFHS Library at 712 – 16 Avenue NW at 7:00 pm.  We will be discussing “case studies” of searching for Ontario land records.  Anyone who has been successful in finding land records in Ontario, please come prepared to share with us.  Include how you found the land location, how you determined which film(s) to use, what you found, where you went from there, etc., etc.  Detail the whole process you went through to find the records.  Bring documents and pictures if you have them.  We will have access to the internet if you wish to use it for illustration.

            Also, if you are having a problem trying to find some Ontario land records, come prepared with details and we will see if we can help you.

            Everyone welcome!

            Ronna Byam

            Chair, Ontario SIG

            Checked by AVG.

          • Ronna L. Byam
            Message 5 of 22 , May 24, 2008

              The regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG will be held on Monday, May 26th, at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 – 16 Avenue NW.  We will be exploring the changes to the OGS website, especially the new “Members Only” features.  We will also be finishing up our case studies of “Finding Ontario Land Records” focusing on tracing entries found in the Ontario Land Records Index (OLRI) and in the Index to the Upper Canada Land Books.

              Everyone and anyone welcome!

              Ronna Byam

              Chair, Ontario SIG

            • Ronna L. Byam
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 22, 2008

                The  regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG will be held this coming Monday, June 23rd, at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 – 16 Avenue NW.  The 5 members who went to the OGS conference in Ontario will be reporting their experiences.

                Bring potluck goodies along for an end of the year social.

                Everyone welcome!

                Ronna Byam

                Chair, Ontario SIG

              • Marion Peterson
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 8 12:47 PM
                  Hello everyone,

                  I've volunteered to co-ordinate the Ontario Special Interest Group (SIG) for the coming year.

                  I'm starting to do some planning and brainstorming, so if you have any ideas for meeting topics or questions you would like answered, please send them to me. I'm hoping to delegate, so I'm looking for volunteers and/or suggestions of possible speakers.

                  If you find any great websites, books or other resources about Ontario to recommend to others, please let me know.

                  Lorna Laughton has forwarded the files and binders to me, but one thing we haven't figured out how to easily transfer is the Ontario SIG email distribution list. If you would like to be included for email messages about the Ontario SIG, please reply. This will help me compile the distribution list. I'm hoping to avoid having to type all of the email addresses!

                  I've tentatively chosen the third Tuesday of the month for meetings.

                  Marion Peterson