Genealogy Charting

  • Mabel Kiessling
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 21, 2007
      Hello Everyone:

      Thank you to those folks that offer suggestions whenever I have a query for which I need help.   Once again, I need some suggestions.  A query is asking what we could recommend for a computer-based genealogy charting system that is both comprehensive and relatively easy to use.  The query has never used any software before.

      Mabel Kiessling
      Queries Volunteer
      Alberta Family Histories Society
    • Mary Arthur

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 2007
          Mabel Kiessling wrote:
          > Hello Everyone:
          >
          > Thank you to those folks that offer suggestions whenever I have a
          > query for which I need help. Once again, I need some suggestions. A
          > query is asking what we could recommend for a computer-based genealogy
          > charting system that is both comprehensive and relatively easy to use.
          > The query has never used any software before.

          Hi Mabel:

          I like the "Brothers' Keeper" genealogy program. It is easy to use, and it
          can create nice charts. It is a shareware, so it can be downloaded free. The
          free version can plot 5 generations only. If you like it, you pay about 50$.
          However, from your message it is not clear, if the person has computer
          knowledge or not. Certainly, any genealogy program requires fundamental
          computer skills.

          The Brothers' Keeper program can be downloaded from the web page:

          <http://www.bkwin.org/>

          Cheers,

          Joseph.
          This E-Mail has been scanned by NORTON Antivirus and it is free of viri.

        • Charles W Aubin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 22, 2007
            Hi Mary et al:
            Sorry Legacy does not have a built in charting program until next month
            when version 7.0 comes out, and then it is in the deluxe version and not
            the freebee.
            Charlie

            Mary Arthur wrote:
            > I would think that all of the programs would do an adequate job, they
            > could attend a sig meeting or check out the demos.
            >
            > If there is only one chart wanted, I would recommend Legacy - its
            > free. http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ (assuming they are using a
            > windows machine).
            >

            > On 21-Sep-07, at 20:08 , Mabel Kiessling wrote:
            >
            >> Hello Everyone:
            >>
            >> Thank you to those folks that offer suggestions whenever I have a
            >> query for which I need help. Once again, I need some suggestions. A
            >> query is asking what we could recommend for a computer-based genealogy
            >> charting system that is both comprehensive and relatively easy to
            >> use. The query has never used any software before.
            >>
            >> Mabel Kiessling
            >> Queries Volunteer
            >> Alberta Family Histories Society

          • J. Metcalfe
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 23, 2007
              Hi Mary,

              I've used a few different programs over the years and still tend to go back to Family Treemaker to produce quick, easy, and attractive charts (but I am using Version 11, so this aspect of the program may have changed substantially since then).  However, it has been my general impression that it has been a "leader" in the field of charting pretty much since it was first introduced.

              I found that Generations (a program that I believe is no longer available) could do a credible job and was very flexible (that is, one could readily personalize the charting format), but it was much more "fiddly" to get an attractive result.

              As an overall program, I predominantly use Legacy now.  As has been already posted, it does not currently have an imbedded charting program.  I can hardly wait until the next version (with a charting program on board) comes out.

              All the best,
              Joyce

              Mary Arthur <maryarthur@...> wrote:
              I would think that all of the programs would do an adequate job, they could attend a sig meeting or check out the demos.

              If there is only one chart wanted, I would recommend Legacy - its free. http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ (assuming they are using a windows machine).

              On 21-Sep-07, at 20:08 , Mabel Kiessling wrote:

              Hello Everyone:

              Thank you to those folks that offer suggestions whenever I have a query for which I need help.   Once again, I need some suggestions.  A query is asking what we could recommend for a computer-based genealogy charting system that is both comprehensive and relatively easy to use.  The query has never used any software before.

              Mabel Kiessling
              Queries Volunteer

            • Beverley A. Rees
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 23, 2007

                Aloha!  Hi there to all from the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  Being on the Legacy Family Tree Cruise has been fantastic thus far.  AND . . . . . .our class yesterday was a Sneak Preview of Legacy 7.0  The new Charting Program that will be a part of Legacy 7.0 is fantastic.  Version 7.0 has added an integrated Charting Program and this new release should be available before Christmas.  We are looking at our email every few days so if anyone wants to get in touch with us we will be here until October 3rd.

                Bev and Ken Rees

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 23, 2007
                  Hi All:

                  I am finding this stream of messages very interesting.

                  As far as I can see no one yet has mentioned the wonderful resource that our AFHS website provides at
                  http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/software.html

                  Part of that page provides the best summary of all - Bill Mumford's
                  GENEALOGICAL SOFTWARE REPORT CARD

                  Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees!!

                  Cheers

                  BILL

                  Mary Arthur wrote:
                  I would think that all of the programs would do an adequate job, they could attend a sig meeting or check out the demos.

                  If there is only one chart wanted, I would recommend Legacy - its free. http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ (assuming they are using a windows machine).

                  On 21-Sep-07, at 20:08 , Mabel Kiessling wrote:

                  Hello Everyone:

                  Thank you to those folks that offer suggestions whenever I have a query for which I need help.   Once again, I need some suggestions.  A query is asking what we could recommend for a computer-based genealogy charting system that is both comprehensive and relatively easy to use.  The query has never used any software before.

                  Mabel Kiessling
                  Queries Volunteer
                  Alberta Family Histories Society

                  No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.488 / Virus Database: 269.13.28/1023 - Release Date: 9/22/2007 1:27 PM

                  --
                  WILLIAM CAMPBELL
                  CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA