FWD: Brian W Hutchison Genealogical Scholarships

  • George Lake
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2007
      Hi All:

      If anyone has any ideas that can help Ms Church, please contact her directly.

      Thanks

      Geo Lake, Secretary
      Brian W. Hutchison Genealogical Scholarship Committee

      From: Kathryn Church <k3church@...>
      Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:05:10 -0400

      Greetings:

      I plucked the announcement of this scholarship off a bulletin board in the Fredericton public library (yes, I put it back!)....mostly because of my father, Stuart Church. He and my mother still live in the small Alberta town in which I grew up (brothers and their families too). In his eighties, with some typing and editing assistance from me, he has written, over four years, a family history working from old postcards and letters, with some interviewing of family members. He has traced things back five generations in Canada. I think that we have reached the final rough draft of his creation, and I am scanning in photos that he has selected from across the years. We are working towards some kind of document that can be circulated to family.

      I see that your scholarship is for formal study. I do not believe that my father would undertake that.... and is perhaps past the point where it would have helped. But we could use assistance with production. And I suspect that I will "roll" his work here into a larger book project of my own. It will connect it with some work I did with my mother, Lorraine, regarding her work as a small town dressmaker (featured as a museum exhibit called "Fabrications: Stitching Ourselves Together" a few years back.)

      Can you suggest places where I could apply for assistance in the completion of this labour of love? It has been a private effort so far.

      Thank you for your advice.

      Kathryn

      Kathryn Church PhD
      Associate Professor
      School of Disability Studies
      Research Associate
      Ryerson-RBC Institute for Disability Studies Research and Education
      Ryerson University

      Mailing Address:
      350 Victoria St.
      Toronto, Ontario M5B 2K3
      Tel: 416-979-5000 (4592)
      Fax: 416-979-5209
      Email: k3church@...

      Site Address:
      Center for Studies in Community Health
      #523, 99 Gerrard Street East
      Toronto

      "I can never bring you to realize the importance of sleeves, the suggestiveness of thumb-nails, or the great issues that may hang from a boot-lace." (Sherlock Holmes to Dr. Watson)

      Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
      with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com