Re: flat bed scanners

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2007
      I am happy with my Epson Perfection 2580 Photo scanner which has a thingy on the lid which handles film and slides.

      Lois Sparling

      Carole May wrote:

      Hi everyone,

      I’m in the market for a good flatbed scanner.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I have a good printer, so don’t want to get a combination printer/scanner/copier.

      Thanks

      Carole May

    • william campbell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2007
        Hi Carole
        Based on our member's (Gord Hulbert) very favourable experience I installed a Canon CanoScan LiDE 25
        (from Staples at about $80) a couple of months ago and I'm very pleased with it. It ties into my laserjet printer and so I use it as a photocopier.

        Cheers

        BILL
        Carole May wrote:

        Hi everyone,

        I’m in the market for a good flatbed scanner.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I have a good printer, so don’t want to get a combination printer/scanner/copier.

        Thanks

        Carole May

        No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.476 / Virus Database: 269.10.22/923 - Release Date: 7/27/2007 6:01 PM

        --
        WILLIAM CAMPBELL
        CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

      • Cathi M
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2007
          I have an HP 4890.
          I chose it because I have older negatives that do not fit in the 35m slots that many scanners have. It's whole bed can be used for negatives and slides, not just one row (like most scanners).
          The only problem is that I had to buy it in the US as it's apparantly not available in Canada.

          Consumer Reports and PC World are both good resources for reading about scanners and their good/bad points.

          Cathi M

          > I'm in the market for a good flatbed scanner.  Does anyone
          > have any
          > recommendations?  I have a good printer, so don't want to
          > get a combination
          > printer/scanner/copier.
          >

          > Thanks
          >

          > Carole May

        • J. Metcalfe
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2007
            Hi,

            I think two big questions you have to answer first is what do you want to do with your scanner (photos, 35 mm negatives, odd size negatives, pdfs and/or OCR docs, email, etc.

            I have two Canons and like them both for different reasons - The FB630U is older but it is very small and compact and propelled completely from the power of my laptop (i.e. I don't need to plug it in to us it, although it doesn't shorten the length of time my laptop will run of the battery by a bit).  It's great to use while travelling and still produces a great digital image from a photo after all these years.  It does not do negatives.

            More recently, I bought a Canon 9950F, it's fast and does a wide variety of negative sizes.  It also does great PDFs and OCR (Word) docs.  It will also attach to my printer to do photocopies and it does scans to email (although I haven't used these features yet).  It cost a pretty penny more than the FB630U, but it probably has come down some in the seven months since I bought it.  I was able to buy it here in Calgary.

            Another note, technology is changing at such a pace that this email will probably be obsolete before I can hit the send button.

            Hope this helps,
            Joyce